GOAT ADDICTS ANONYMOUS

Pamela

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I am completely and utterly addicted to goats. In fact, I've just made arrangements to purchase my new buck so I can have better eye candy kids! I found a week old, colostrum fed bottle baby (red nubian buckling) out of a tested herd for $50! I get him tomorrow. Happy birthday to me!

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

Question-

For all those mentioning they are selling a goat or two or so...

HOW many are you KEEPING? Yeah, I know it is kidding season... so what are the REAL numbers! :p

that's way too hard to answer....we have to see what everyone kids before we can decide and as of today none of the goats are saying how many they are having :lol:....they said we have to wait....:lol: :lol:

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay. I saw the word sell. "Sell" and "goat" cannot be used together. It's like "too much" and "cheese" or "pizza". In much the same way you cannot be a "little bit" pregnant, or "almost" a virgin, one cannot "sell" a goat. If the net result of a goat transaction is not an increase in the number of goats one has, or at least maintaining the status quo, the deal has not been properly handled. You people confuse me and I think you need help.

BTW, I am pretty sure that my "goat addiction" is just something my DH convinced me of because he doesn't want to get anymore animals right now. We still only own 2 goats, and the one (s) we may be planning to buy are just so we can have milk and we're gonna stud for our friend Mark's does ('cause he wants his does in milk-not because we actually WANT 1st choice of babies) and stud for Mark's friend's doe because they want milk (not 'cause we want one of those babies). The fact that we may end up with between 2 and 5 does by September, and maybe even 7 or 8 does is by no means an indication of a problem. We want milk, and self-sufficiency, and that is best obtained by owning one's own goats. The baby(ies) that we will be getting in exchange for stud service will certainly not be providing any milk for almost 2 years from now, so our milk must have another source. Hence the need for 1 or more adult does ready to breed to our stud, and we need at least one completely unrelated doeling for our boys. The adult does will be Nubian and LaMancha, since Kim and I have decided that we actually need to add one doe of each of those breeds to our herd. This is an ABSOLUTE NECESSITY, not some irrational idea. I cannot understand why my son seems to think I am paranoid, I do not need to answer to anyone for any goat purchases or breedings that may soon take place. I have no intention of owning more than 8 or 10 goats any time soon, and that is certainly not too many. SO THERE!!! :hide

love your way of thinking! :thumbsup

Pamela

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Introducing my latest indulgence, 'Captain Jack'. This makes 9 goats on our place. Oops! Getting a little overrun.

Attachments

• IMG_20160326_164546943.jpg
    IMG_20160326_164546943.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 123

sadieml

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Pamela - Captain Jack is a beauty. I love that rich red coat. Mama was a redhead! We may have to get a red doe and name her Liane for my Mama! That would be AWESOME! Mama loved goats, we were gonna get her a new one the March she died (2013). I can't believe I never thought of this before! She would be thrilled.:celebrate:love

HoneyDreameMomma

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Lol - reading goat numbers, and I guess I'm a lost cause... Ten Nigies (2 bucks and 8 pregnant does), and bringing home 3 kiko mix kids at the beginning of May. :hide Honestly, we had so many kids, I sold more than half the herd last year. DH is an enabler - he's asked if we should keep a few more Nigies this year.