Growth charts

DParker

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I did a search so I realize this topic has been raised before, but it's been some time and I thought I'd see if anything has changed since then. I'm quite surprised to find that, despite their enormous current popularity and the care with which so many raise small goat breeds (NDs in particular) I am unable to locate anything like a growth chart giving an idea of what one should expect in terms of typical/average weight and or size by age, from birth until fully grown. I would think that many like myself (newer herd owners) would find that sort of thing to be quite valuable when it comes to evaluating the health and growth progress of their goats.

Does such a resource exist and my Googling skills are ot what I thought they were? Or is this just one of those needs that still remains inexplicably unmet?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Averages to expect? Have you looked at registry site?

Most of those who raise them can tell you, it's very subjective to your own herd and care. First size & genetics of foundation herd. Then their feed. Then the does own milk production. Then number birthed. Factors such as these determine size & growth of kids at birth and beyond.

You have to watch and learn from your own herd, once you know they are in good health.

I can tell you that some bucks can produce traits across the gamut of his kids. Watch for the trends. One of my meat type produces smaller birthweight and slower growth kids -- another buck, super growth weight. If I cross the first buck with my heavy milking dairy does, those kids grow well with all the extra rich milk. Over time you can decide best crosses. Of course, it's harder with only a handful of animals.

Last edited:

DParker

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Averages to expect? Have you looked at registry site?

Most of those who raise them can tell you, it's very subjective to your own herd and care. First size & genetics of foundation herd. Then their feed. Then the does own milk production. Then number birthed. Factors such as these determine size & growth of kids at birth and beyond.

You have to watch and learn from your own herd, once you know they are in good health.

I can tell you that some bucks can produce traits across the gamut of his kids. Watch for the trends. One of my meat type produces smaller birthweight and slower growth kids -- another buck, super growth weight. If I cross the first buck with my heavy milking dairy does, those kids grow well with all the extra rich milk. Over time you can decide best crosses. Of course, it's harder with only a handful of animals.
Yes, I understand that the size and weight of a goat at a given age will vary depending on a number of factors, just as with any other living thing. That's why I said "typical/average", which is useful for new owners when determining if their animals' growth progress is at least in the neighborhood of where it should be for the breed. As for looking at a registry site (like the ADGA, I presume), what exactly would I be looking for? I've found nothing on the ADGA's web site like what I'm talking about.

I have found such information for some.of the larger breeds, so I'm jot sure what's so amusing about my looking for something similar for NDs.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry.....😁.

My goats are all large variety. Niggies are cute but, I look to quantity as well as quality for milkers. So Saanens, some with Nubian X. Meat, I use Boer. My statistics are way different as my kids arrive at 7-10# average, vice 2-3# for your breed. Hope you find a chart or...even, msg a ND breeder. On here, @OneFineAcre raises show & production NDs. They could give you info based on years of good breeding. 👍

Last edited:

Latest posts