Hello - My Backyard Setup

matefrio

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Just wanted to introduce myself. Started back in October 2010 and am just now getting kits for the first time. It's been a challenge with this small scale, more so than I'd like to admit. Below are some pictures. I've added quail to the mix.

Here is a journal link:http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=19&t=639935&page=1

This was when I first set it up back in October 2010
rabbits1027.jpg

img20101023180252.jpg

More recent picture
img20110405180140.jpg

Through many trials Sunday May 15th I got 9 live kits:
kitss.jpg

VStillman

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Very nice! We currently have 18 rabbits with 3 just bred last week. We live where it gets very hot so my husband built me the shade cloth mister setup over pvc pipes to try and deep temps down in summer 2 months of 90 to 105 degree weather. Actually we are ready to buy the shadecloth as the frame is built but all the shadecloth i find is plastic material and I dont know if that will work with the water to keep it cool. (suspose to keep it at 85 degrees with the mister going.) I am currently waiting for a reply from the guy i got the design from. Hopefully it works. If not i am going to have to use a swap cooler for them. Likr your setup! Looks great!

Royd Wood

Reaction score
Cool set up and Quail eh - We want quail this year as we already have ringneck pheasants

Enjoy the forum and :welcome

Lizzie098

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
That is a really nice set up! :love I bet those are some really happy bunnies!!

Oh and :welcome !!

rickerra

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Welcome! Very nice setup you have!

I like seeing the progression pictures. Starts out all shiny and new... and then after some use... you see the duct tape and bricks and other make-it-work stuff. Haha! Same boat here!

Looking at how your cages hang from a single crossbeam, do you find your cages swing much?

What kind of water valves/nipples do you use in your system?
Is that a quick disconnect off the bucket... so you can easily refill it?

What material did you use for your waste diverters?

Cheers!

matefrio

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
rickerra said:
Welcome! Very nice setup you have!

I like seeing the progression pictures. Starts out all shiny and new... and then after some use... you see the duct tape and bricks and other make-it-work stuff. Haha! Same boat here!

Looking at how your cages hang from a single crossbeam, do you find your cages swing much?

What kind of water valves/nipples do you use in your system?
Is that a quick disconnect off the bucket... so you can easily refill it?

What material did you use for your waste diverters?

Cheers!
The way they're rigged they don't swing much at all. The cross chains up top help a bunch.

The Edstrom Flexible Tube System

Yes, I can refill easy but I really need to hook up the hose as there is a bobber in there with a shutoff valve I could be using.

Waste diverters is corriboard. It's holding up OK and is dirt cheep. Like $8.00 for a 4x8 foot sheet. I got it from a local sign shop. Was going to go heavy dudty with it but decided this was a better way.
corriboard.jpg

brentr

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
What are the dimensions on your cages? They look a little larger than some. I'd like to know the length, width, and height, if not too much trouble. And are those your nest boxes sitting on top of the cages?

dewey

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Nice set up...and great pics, and congrats on the nice litter!

:welcome