Kitsara - Life, the Universe and Whatnot

Kitsara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Poultry are so much fun. My chickens are a trip. I open the coop door and they fly on out. Help themselves to leaving the pen anytime they want. But when I head that way, they'll follow me looking for goodies. The ducks are a trip. Walk on in and it's "Run away! It's going to eat us!" We'll be expanding our flock some more this year, we've some heavy egg layers that are coming in this coming week. And then we'll be getting some Pekin ducks and some Cornish Rock crosses. Those will eventually end up in the pantry and freezer though. We're going to see about getting some more turkeys as well. This time though we're hoping to getting one of the heritage breeds, but we may end up just going with the giant bronze or whites again for the holidays.

My Easter Eggers
chickies.jpg

Four of the ducks checking out the rebuilding of the coop
duckies.jpg

Taffy having fun 'herding' the ducks around
herding.jpg

Kitsara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Today was a great day. Good weather, very little wind and the goats spent most of the time lounging around in the sun. When they weren't crying for attention. Still need to work on goat proofing their shelter though. Silly things. I took Skittles on up to the shed to brush her out and work on her hooves and the other yahoo's put up a fuss. You'd think I was torturing them. So, there I am, sitting at the milk stand with Skittles up on it and brushing her when all of a sudden the other three came running up. They had slipped out and then pushed the gate open. By fault on that since I didn't have it secure well enough, but they were supposed to have stayed inside.

Course, they were all full of energy after having spent most of the last couple weeks cooped up because of the high winds and all. They didn't want out anyways, but still. Anyways I ended up brushing the girls as well, and they are certainly developing a bit of an udder. Course, found out that Skittles is still letting the two nurse. :he I've only seen her kicking at them and not letting them when they've tried, but after I let them all down of the stand the two girls went and nursed. They were traumatized at me checking out their udders I think. She let them. No wonder she's not dried out on the one side.

Better news though, I finally was able to get Domino to get up on the stand on his own. Been real hard getting him up there. He fights the leash and then usually his back legs lock up on him. So I'd have to lift him and such. Not something I always want to do since he's gt horns and thrashes his head about when he's upset. But he managed to make it up there without too much trouble and so he got a nice brushing.

Course, while I'm working on him, Mama (Skittles) and the girls go out and check the rabbits... Come to find out later that they had knocked the feed hopper off of Big Mama's cage and finished up her pellets. Luckily there hadn't been much in there since I hadn't given the rabbits their feed for the day.

I'm so happy to say that we have a tractor now. It's so wonderful looking, it's a JD 4020, with a covered cab. We don't have any implements for it yet, but we're working on it and we'll be able to do so much more when we can get things. Yay! Camera is dead and I forgot to charge the battery, so I'll have to get pictures later.

Kitsara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
tractor.jpg

I do love our tractor. It needs sme work like some new hydraulic hoses, but not a lot really. Now, if I can only get so lucky in finding a used cream separator that's in good condition and a low price.

Goats are looking good, loving the wonderful weather and likely not going to be too happy if we get hit with the coming storm. Course, most likely we'll get the wind and very little of the snow. They've been spending their day's soaking up the sun and complaining that I'm not spending enough time with them. I need to take some more walks with them.

Two of our dogs, Koko (on the left) looks like she's amazed at Rango's yawn, Or maybe she saw something in there.

kokorango.jpg

Times at the library now are not as often. Basketball season is over for the boy, they made it to Semi-Finals, so not too shabby. Baseball season has yet to start up, they're still interviewing coaches from what I understand. He's looking forward to it, and we bought him some new shoes, a mitt and ball. Need to buy a bat. I hadn't realized the bat we had was a teeball bat. That is /not/ going to work.

CocoNUT

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
COOOL tractor!
Love the photos too!

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
:) looks like a very useful tractor...we have 3 tractors none run with any consistency...lol

Kitsara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
That's got to be rough. We've another tractor. An antique. 1940's I think. It doesn't run at all. :) Makes for a nice umm lawn ornaments at the moment.

CocoNUT

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Use the nonworking one as a planter! that's the joke around here...with old cars!

Kitsara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Well, it was quite the winter storm this weekend, pretty much caught in the city due to the highway being closed. Everyone was still doing good though when we made it back on Sunday. Wind blew some pretty deep drifts. It was really bad up along the gate to get into the critters. My son just hopped over the fence. Me, not gonna happen. I had to work the gate back and forth just to get it open enough to slip through. The goats are disgusted with all the white stuff. Only Taffy really ventured more than two steps into it. She just had to see what the chickens were up too.

taffysnow.jpg

Our new chihuahua is finally out of heat so now I can see about getting her fixed. Her and my dachshund. I just can't divert the resources to work on getting him up in levels in Earthdog, and well, he really doesn't conform to the breed standard, and I do not want little Chiweenies to boot. Koko is too small in comparison to him anyways.