Taming goats down?

KWAK

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hey! I have 8 goats, 6 of them are the friendliest goats I have ever seen.... 2 on the other hand are extremely wild.

I don't expect them to get friendly, but hopefully easier to catch, whats the best way to tame them down?

treeclimber233

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Can you pen them in an area where they are completely dependent on you for food and water? Once they realize you are the bringer of good things they will be happy to see you coming their way. As long as they can be somewhat self-sufficient they will continue to be wild. Also sitting in the pen and not trying to catch them will help too. Never chase them to catch them. Maybe putting a tame goat in with them will help too. They will see the tame one is not afraid of you and that should calm them down some.

Corrin20

Just born
Reaction score
I have a pygmy buck that was like that, and I made him completely dependent on me, and he realized that he shouldn't "Bite the hand that feeds him" and he has gotten so much better. He realized that I was basically the "boss" and he needed me.en

I also brought another goat in the pen, and showed him how it trusted me and how it was gentle. He saw how it behaved, and he has calmed down a great bit.

I would suggest making them dependent on you, and then showing them how the other goats behave. :D

Fluffygal

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Food. Yep, all ya need is a bag of yummiest and a bit o patience.
Ofcourse, I pet them while they are eating which gets them used to being touched. They will move away a bit, but the food keeps ember coming back. Eventually they just ignore me and eat away while I pet them. They even will start to come up to me on their own for attention and to see if I have any yummiest.

Latest posts