1 1/2 wk. old calf eating hay???

babyboy1_mom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Is it normal or harmful for a calf that young to be eating hay? I went out this morning to feed him his bottle and he wanted more, as usual. After I finished him, then I went and tended to my chickens. After tending to the chickens, I went back to the calf pen and put some more hay in there to help him keep warm and hopefully to help with the mud and muck in there. Lots of rain and melted snow here.

Well, as soon as started spreading the hay out, then he started eating it. Is it alright for me to get some calf started feed and give him some of that? If so, then would I still give him a bottle in the morning and one at night?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dorothy

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It's okay and normal for him to be working at eating the hay. Yes, get him some calf grain!

Yes, you will still need to feed him milk/milk replacer twice a day but, he is old enough to go on a pail. You will need to help him realize the milk now comes in a pail by getting his nose in there and getting him to suck it up. He needs this until he is eating roughly 3/4 of an 8qt calf pail a day. That would be roughly at 2 months of age. They say 1 bag of milk replacer per calf as a rough estimate.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
yes its ok for him to eat hay.an as kitty said get some calf feed.an try to get him to eating some feed.an its time to try to get him to drink milk from a bucket.

babyboy1_mom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks Farmer Kitty and wynedot55. I am going to the feed store in a little while and pick up some calf feed and I will start him on the pail. I know that the pail will be so much easier on my hands and wrists. I have nerve damage in both of my wrists, so feeding time makes them hurt a little, especially when he head butts me/the bottle to make the milk come down....lol

babyboy1_mom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Well, I went out and got some calf starter for BarBQ. I had to put some in his mouth, about 3 times, and then it was on...lol He was loving it, but out of my hand only. I had only put a little bit into a bowl and he did try to get some out of it, but he couldn't, so he went back to lipping my hand...lol

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The vet would say not to feed it to him out of your hand. He needs to eat it out of the dish/pail or he's not ready for it and to leave a little there for him.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
just leave feed in his pan.an he will eat it when he is ready.

babyboy1_mom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am a little late on reading your replies, but I did the correct thing....lol I did put some in a pan and he was eating it whenever I came back inside. How much should I put in the pan? I know that if I were to feed him too much milk, then he could come down with scours. Could he get scours if I gave him too much feed and still his milk twice a day?

Thanks for the replies.

Dorothy

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
i would just start him off on .25 of a coffee can of feed a day.an watch him for the scours.but that should not scour him.

babyboy1_mom

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks wynedot55. Being a first timer here, I get a little nervous...lol I just do not want anything to happen to this little guy, my son would cry himself sick.