2013 Kids on HIll Kidding Aunt B is in the kidding pen, April 7th.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
SkyWarrior said:
Congrats on the younguns. Sorry to hear some haven't made it.
We only lost one, But I have 4 on a bottle right now.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We were enjoying the warmer weather on Sunday and I realized while we watched the kids play I needed to get my camera. Of course when I headed to the house the herd decided it was feeding time to eat and it kind of ruined the moment. But I did get these pictures.
We have 3 does due on THursday and 1 on Saturday. I would really appreciate some does from these girls. Since out of 21 kids so far we only got 6 does.
2 of the bottle babies are going to their new homes on Saturday. Have I mentioned how much I do not like bottle feeding.

3140_jan_28_4.jpg

THis is star's buckling, he was 12.5 lbs at birth. He was a single and is growing like crazy.
3140_jan_28_6.jpg

Not sure who this is, but I thnk it is Nova's doeling.
3140_jan_28_5.jpg

Oddly enough even though I don't have many does, these three are all does.
3140_jan_28_1.jpg

White tags are does, orange tags are males.
3140_jan_28_2.jpg

3140_jan_28_3.jpg

RPC

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
All the kids are looking great. Good luck with the upcoming does, I hope you get some doelings.

RPC

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I really like the looks of the frosted ear doeling inside the hut.

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
They are looking great!!!! And same thing happens to me here...lambs are playing like little crazies...then I go in the house to get my camera...get back out there...and it's over.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
RPC said:
I really like the looks of the frosted ear doeling inside the hut.
She is soooooo cute. And she knows it. Her mom fusses over her and her sister. Her mom keeps them very close to her, so she is really thinking she is special by getting out and playing. It is interesting watching the differend dams with their kids and wacthing them teach their kids to stay together and with her. Well, the better moms do this. Tori, The dam of the frosted ear doeling, demands her kids listen and stay together. Peaches is another doe that really fuses at her kids. Even though she freshened with only one side of her udder workign this year. She is still tending to both of them and expects them to stay together. It drives her crazy that I bring out a bottle and it distracts the doeling. peaches always calls the brother over to me and they all stand by me as a unit as the doeling drinks her bottle.

Sorry this is lengthy. I have to share one more thing.
You should have seen the first day I left Peaches out with the kids. They were 4 or so days old, a little older than I normally let them out and they were more than ready to get out into the world. The doeling was nursing on the bum side and takign 4 bottles a day, so she was a little more independent than Peaches cared for her to be. The second I opened the door to the pen, the doeling took off exploring, but the buckling stayed close to Peaches. Well, Peaches takes off after the doeling callign her and calling her, trying to keep up with her. The buckling trying to keep up woudl every know and then fall behind and Peaches would run back to him and call him and then dash back over to the doeling. It was driving her nuts. You could see the frustration in her face and hear the frustration in her calls as she tried to get the little doe under control and back into a family unit. It was very interesting to watch. Peaches is a great mom. I feel bad that it was probably my management that ruined one side of her udder. We should have cut them off from the higher calorie feeds sooner before weaning kids last year.
I had two different groups of kids and she was in the first groupt o be weaned. and there was a 2nd group that was a month or so younger in the same barn area. So I didn't cut back feed on the does that were getting weaned. I am sure that is what caused the problem. I am going to keep her and just bottle feed one of the kids again next year. She is now letting both kids nurse on the good side, but the doeling is still taking 4 bottles a day. I can tell she is getting some milk from mom, because some feedings she wont take her bottle or only drinks half the bottle.

Sorry that was a long story.

Have a great day everyone.

Latest posts