2023, Waiting on Lambs!

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
They're no good for reducing waste to near zero.

You’re never going to find a feeder design with no waste. I use Premier’s fence line feeder design and yes, there’s still waste, but I don’t see it as waste because anything they won’t eat gets used as bedding.

The only waste I get is if the hay is stemmy or has nasty bits. The best part of the fence line feeders is that my knees aren’t assaulted every time I feed.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
You’re never going to find a feeder design with no waste. I use Premier’s fence line feeder design and yes, there’s still waste, but I don’t see it as waste because anything they won’t eat gets used as bedding.

The only waste I get is if the hay is stemmy or has nasty bits. The best part of the fence line feeders is that my knees aren’t assaulted every time I feed.
What are you talking about? My design is near zero waste.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
They're no good for reducing waste to near zero.
Very difficult! I've worked with some that brought it way down tho. Tried some goat ones that were boards with keyhole cutouts....horns....and did have at least ONE kid get inside and not out until rescued! Waste is hard with prices now. 🥴

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Horses don't really use their long shelter. Thinking of using it for sheep. Somehow make a 2 sided, super long hay feeder. 🤔

With what I have available is what I meant.
But in gathering potential parts, I realized that there was an easier, potentially more sturdy & lighter way of making it.
I only found one intact cattle panel, though. I'd need 3 in all.

The supplies I gathered...
20230302_143441.jpg

The layout of available parts until...
20230302_144406.jpg

And then the idea hit me. Rough drawing.
A panel bent in an L, two of them joined together making a U of sorts. Left over sections used on ends. Wood on bottom to keep hay in & sheep n pee out along the bottom. Supports along top to keep stiff & from the bullshyters from ruining it.
20230302_143446.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts