3 Little Piggies Coming in 3 days. HELP!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Boil the eggs. Lob them over the fence and they will gobble them up. I load my pigs with boiled eggs. We open the trailer gate, open the pen gate, toss smashed boiled eggs halfway in the trailer and they can't jump in there fast enough to eat it. SLAM! Gate closed. Pigs in trailer. giving them boiled eggs will train them to run to the boiled eggs, making them easy to load to take to the processor.

They will eat fermented fruit and veggies that have seen better days. They eat eggshells too.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Something about the raw eggs hinders uptake of B vitamins. Of course in the wild, a pig doesn't get boiled eggs, but they don't get eggs at all very frequently so limits damage. You'll most likely be giving them eggs much more frequently.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Also because the raw eggs break and the goo is harder to clean up. A hard boiled egg is easier for them to eat. Don't peel them.

Healthy Skeptic

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
2FA75A11-0B0C-4E1E-8F0F-BECB41A30568.jpeg
Ok thanks.

My sister is wondering if you give them peaches and things like that off of the tree. Would they choke on the pit ?

We just got back. Here they are!!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cute piggies! The adventure begins! In the wild, pigs eat fruit that falls on the ground. Nobody takes the seeds or pits out. But if they were my pigs, I’d take the pits out. I’m just a little weird I guess.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
What cute little porkers! Grats! Some folks are strictly concerned with feed conversion to meat for minimal cost to butcher weight. So a balanced pig ration in measured quantities and amounts is the way to go. However... from my understanding, never having had a pig (well, not entirely true, I did have one for about an hour... long story, read my journal), feeding veggies and fruits is good for them and lowers your cost and makes them happy :weee and happy pigs taste better when cooked :drool Bay feeds them fermented corn for the final month or so to fatten and flavor them. Folks with extra milk often give it to the pigs. I guess they really like it. I know my dogs do. Many folks rake up acorns and other nuts to feed them. Lots of options.

Dee Mini Pigs

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So my sister talked me into getting 3 eight week old cross breeds to raise for our own meat. Well we are now locked in and I start asking her questions to which she has no answers. Argh!!! lol

So I remembered this forum. And your experience and expertise.

First what do I feed them and in what? Do I need a trough? If so how do I make one? And how much do they eat?

Second how do we water them? My hubby says he thinks they need a special tube water thingy! I’m sure that’s the professional term.

We have a very nice place for them to sleep in and we will build a small fence for outside. But how much room is acceptable and do they eat grass?

Do I need a pool for them to bathe in?

Do I need to give minerals and vitamins?

I want these to be as healthy as can be for our family.

What are things I should look out for? They will be in a poll barn with caged chickens and free roaming cats. Also next to meat chickens in a month.

Thanks. I will no go searching on This forum for many of my questions. But just wanted to get this out first.

Thanks all!!

Dee Mini Pigs

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Gday from Australia, I am not a commercial pig farmer, however I had had quite a few piggies, to eat as well as pets, so tame they are just like dogs. First thing first they will dig! And they will push through fencing and they are quite destructive in how strong they are, I am not going to sugar coat this,it’s the truth, expearience counts, second , WATER, is key, pigs do not sweat, they will over heat in hot climates, hence they will need a pool/wallow. They like mud so any method you use for this, a pool they will tip it over to mud themselves, this is messy but receive all vitamins and minerals out of the soil, it’s very healthy for them. If you choose buckets for them to drink out of , no, they will drink it then tip it, been round that road. A drip feeder is not enough, I suggest a small self watering trough where you can connect your hose to and attach it to a star picket that’s planted way deep into the ground. Putting your babies in with other stock is fine now not later as they may attack chickens to eat. A very strict diet is the key to avoid, to much fat when time to butcher, I am happy to give more info on feeding but my times run out, mummy duties call, please let me know! Good luck and pigs are very smart and wonderful animals to have, I have loved all of mine.