1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Guess the build... - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

3 Little Piggies Coming in 3 days. HELP!

Discussion in 'Feeding Time - Pigs' started by Healthy Skeptic, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Aug 5, 2018
    Healthy Skeptic

Healthy Skeptic Ridin' The Range

Ok. Yes I have used DE for years. It’s awesome. Never thought about the wet outside. But we drink it at times and I know it’s worked inside. Hmmmm

So interesting all your guys knowledge.

2. Aug 5, 2018
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master Golden Herd Member

I keep a "pig bucket" on the counter. I put vegetable scraps, egg shells (they love those) leftovers, no bones or meat, but practically everything else.

I get apple flavored ivermectin horse wormer to worm the pigs. It is also good to get rid of lice. Repeat in 10 days. I cut the crust off a slice of bread, quirt the yummy apple flavored wormer in the middle and fold over. I mash the edges together to seal it. I toss them some bread. They can smell the apple flavoring, I just toss their wormer bread to them and they scarf it up, looking for more. I worm them when I get them, then 10 days later. Rarely, I worm them a second time a few months later.

3. Aug 7, 2018
    Healthy Skeptic

Well, I asked the farmer if they would keep these 1 more week. That way we can be ready. 1 more week to go now.

AStinebaugh and BlessedWithGoats like this.
  4. Aug 8, 2018
    AStinebaugh

AStinebaugh Just born

Along with what was said here about the water needing changed regularly, we have juliana pigs, way smaller than what you will have. We have 2 very small pigs and a water dish they cannot lay in (it is just short enough they can get a drink but can't actually get into it, it is also heavy enough they can't tip it over) just the mud/dirt from their snouts after rooting makes for dirty muddy water very quickly. I just wanted to kind of give you a picture of just how much you will need to change water out. good luck and enjoy those piggies!

Baymule likes this.
  5. Aug 8, 2018
    MrsO3chicks&goaties

MrsO3chicks&goaties Exploring the pasture

We have the 16qt. Auto waterer..
    We got out feeder pig when he was about 12 weeks so he was big enough to reach it. Nutrena and Purina Both have starter grower feed. half pound per Pig in the a.m and evening. You can always up the feed.. also to consider you could feed them separately to see who's eating what so no one's being left out or falls behind in growth.
    We picked up a 50lb feeder July 7 and he is now a happy guy @ approx. 75lb

Attached Files:

Baymule likes this.
  6. Aug 8, 2018
    Ron Bequeath

Ron Bequeath Just born

Don't think stalls will hold up. And if you do you might have to build a new barn when done. Odor will be bad.Check various homesteading blogs or hog raiser videos. There are a lot of good and inexpensive huts out there that can be put together in a day for not much cash. Check with your local tsc or farm store for a 15 to 16 % protein mash starter, usually will contain soy. Last 2 months drop down to 12% corn feed this will give you a more pleasant flavored tasting pork. I also feed shelled corn in the end helps save on cost. It may be advisable to worm them check with vet or feed store. Give my pigs 2 five gallon pails of weeds from the garden per pig per day, they love it. Others have given excellent info. Little laugh, been raising pigs for over 40 years, when move to present location bought a gilt and raised her. She stayed in pasture til 259 lbs then came in heat, another story, got her bred and 3 mo 3 weeks 3 day to the day she blessed me with 12 piglets. Neighbors 80 acres behind me, another neighbor located 150 feet from barn. One day couldn't find piglets, not behind me, found them side by side going up across the neighbors beautifully manicured front yard plowing as they went, 10 ft x 12 pigs before I got to them. Good luck you'll enjoy them.

Baymule likes this.
  7. Aug 8, 2018
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

Greetings and welcome to BYH to THREE newcomers: @AStinebaugh @MrsO3chicks&goaties & @Ron Bequeath from me over here in NE TX! So glad you joined us. Glad you were able to jump inm and offer help! There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. But there's always room for some more :thumbsup Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

Oh, and folks, PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. I recommend at least your state as most folks won't be able to figure out where if you put anything more specific (county, town, street, etc) by itself. Old folks like me :old will never remember & look there first. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!

8. Aug 9, 2018
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses True BYH Addict

:lol: Teamwork at it's finest. Pigs are workaholics!! If you could control them like a plowhorse…...well, it's a thought.

Baymule and Latestarter like this.
  9. Aug 9, 2018
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master Golden Herd Member

One more week, are y'all building them a pen and shelter?

10. Aug 13, 2018
    Healthy Skeptic

D358735E-FF63-4B9D-87DE-95594596C6B2.jpeg Ok. Going to get pigs tomorrow. I started a slop bucket today. Just got back from a DC trip.

My sister asked if she should keep her full bucket from last week or toss it? Not sure if they can eat old fermented fruit and veggies or not.

Can I give them non cooked eggs?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018