3 week old Gulf Coast Native Lamb

Bridgemoof

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thanks Sandy!

Jacob sheep are cool. A lot of people mistake them for goats because they have horns.

I don't know if there is any better resource for lambing issues than the advice you can get on this forum. There are a lot of people here that have a great deal of experience. Sorry that Zoey still has a fever. :-(

Here's how you post pics:
1. Find the Uploads menu at the top of the page in the menu bar.

2. In the uploading panel, click "browse" to find the file in your computer.

3. Click "uploading options" for a drop down size menu and select "message board size" or smaller to resize your photos while uploading.

4. Click "upload". When it is finished uploading, click on the image tag under the picture (http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/5910_img_7373.jpg[/img) and copy it. Then you can come back here, reply to this post and paste the image code in your forum message.

Hope it works, I'm anxious to see Zoey!

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Welcome!

As far as minerals, she doesn't really need them at this point if she's still getting milk replacer. The milk replacer is a complete feed, and has everything she needs in there. It wouldn't hurt to buy a bag of sheep feed (at least a 14 or 16% protein). Mineral can be pretty pricey, and usually comes in a large bag that would last one little lamb FOREVER. IMO, it'd be a waste of money to buy it right now, especially if you may not have her long term. Instead, I'd spend the money on a bag of feed (probably around $10) and just offer feed and hay in addition to her milk. :)

SuburbanFarmChic

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My concern would be getting her well and not docking her tail. It can be done later surgically if need be. I wouldn't tax her system any more or open another avenue for infection just at the moment.

Agreed on a bag of feed instead of minerals. And at this age she'll probably just play with the food for a couple days. Put out a little bit at a time so it doesn't get moldy or stale.

If you need help finding her a home or get caught and need to place her quickly I have friend w/ sheep that are with in driving distance of you and there are also probably plenty of other people on here that could take her for you.

And wow on Lottie. She's SUPER cute. And we totally need more pictures. :) I love multi colored lambs.

ZoeytheLamb

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi!

Thanks for the information on the minerals- I had wondered if she needed it while she's on the milk replacer. I am going to find out what Southern States offers in the line of feed and make a trip to Richmond and get some feed for her. We have had some really good alfalfa hay we have been offering to her- so far she just sniffs it and chews on it just a little.

I am trying to figure out how to post pictures of her, Bridget gave me some good instructions- let me see if I can follow them!:D

The first picture will be the very first picture I ever took of Zoey, she is about 8 hours old and you can see her with her mother and her black twin (that one is also a female). The lambs were laying in a patch of clover, so weak they could hardly hold up their heads. I gave them both some milk from a bottle and they perked right up and walked around- that's the scene the picture captures. The second picture is a recent one taken in our backyard while my husband is holding her. That face and those blue eyes just make my heart melt...

Okay, here goes with the pictures!

http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/6666_1_zoey.jpg
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/6666_5_zoey_and_george.jpg

I hope I pasted them correctly!

Sandy

ZoeytheLamb

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you SuburbanFarmChic for the advice on the docking of her tail- that makes good sense, she really doesn't need anything else to deal with at the moment.

I struggle knowing what to do about her future and who to give her to- I tell myself that's a hurdle for another day, but I know that day will come. Thanks for writing that others on the list may be able to take her. I am so grateful to everyone on here- I just wish I had gotten up the nerve to join the first time I ran across this forum! You don't know how comforting it is to have knowledgeable folks to talk with about her care.

Oh, another question- teeth grinding, she does that sometimes. She has beautiful pearly white bottom teeth- and only on the bottom - so how does she grind them...:/
She is laying on the dog bed right beside me and as I started writing about the grinding she started doing it again!

Cheerios... she does love to nibble on plain cheerios... I hope that is okay...?

Thanks again!

Sandy

ZoeytheLamb

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you Bridget!

I really have become a goofy sheep Mom and love having folks love her too!

I wish Zoey and Lottie could meet- wow, what stories they could swap!:D

Thanks for everything!

Sandy

SuburbanFarmChic

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm SURE you will be able to find a home for her that you can visit and will give you updates.

She will have teeth on the top and bottom at the back of her mouth. Grinding their teeth can be a sign of pain so her stomach may be bothering her.

A couple cheerios are ok as a treat but should be just treats. :) If she likes those though you can use them to train her to eat out of a dish, ie eat her grain.

ZoeytheLamb

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi,

She just eats about one or two Cheerios out a small dog food bowl. I thought it would be a good way to get her use to eating solid food, so it's a relief to hear that its okay for her to eat it.

I called the feed store in Richmond as I mentioned earlier I would do, but they hardly gave me the time of day- and really didn't seem interested. So I tried Tractor Supply and got a very friendly response to my questions and they carry the brand I was looking for.

From looking online I think I'm going to go with DuMor Sheep Formula. I tried to get Dumor Winning Lamb Starter Feed, but the closest location that carries it is in N.C.

She is going to be 28 days this Friday (!hard to believe!) so she is suppose to be weaned by 30 days??? Or is that just a ballpark time for weaning? Also with her still sickly she may be slower to wean??

Thanks for all the information you can pass along!

Sandy

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Ack, no to weaning at 30 days!! Where did you read that? 60 days is the minimum for weaning, or 8 weeks, 2 mos, same difference. :p Do you have hay? I would start offering her hay free choice.

Latest posts