3 week old Gulf Coast Native Lamb

ZoeytheLamb

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi,

Not sure where I read about the 30 days- it was confusing me as the milk replacer bag says 60 days- so that is a relief to hear that there is no rush.

Let me add this, and ask your advice- she doesn't appear to be feeling all that great today. She has eaten well, but she seems more droopy. When I took her outside- there was no frisking and jumping as she was doing yesterday. I may have to call the vet again about this. Not sure what to tell her- except she just doesn't appear to feel good.

It is hotter today- so maybe combine that with the fever...? This is where I get jittery, when I see that she appears to me to be feeling bad- and in actuality she may just be sleepy. I always keep a close eye on her- but today I shall watch her even closer.

Thanks.
Sandy

ZoeytheLamb

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Her temp is hovering at 103.6

Which has for her been about her average- and the vet isn't sure why it stays in that range (unless it is still the Navel Ill)

Yes, she is on antibiotics. She got an injection last night of Excede- and we were given 4 more syringes to give her 1 every 4 days.

This is her fourth round of antibiotics since birth.

I'll called the vet and left a message on vm to call me. I really am thinking more and more that she does not feel good and needs to see the vet again- today.

Thanks.
Sandy

ZoeytheLamb

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi,

I just got a reply from the vet- there is no way she can see Zoey today. So I am to call early in the morning and see if she can see her then.

Zoey has eaten well today, but is still not herself. Walking with head down, not real interested in things.

Her temp is about the same- in the 103 range. This lethargy - mild though it is - has me worried. She does have the Excede antibiotic in her system from last night- so that is good. She's been on Excede before with no problems.

Sandy

ZoeytheLamb

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi,

An update on Zoey. Her temp reached 104.6 yesterday and the vet wasn't able to see her- after a tense night last night, Zoey actually seemed better this morning. Still was running a fever of 104.3
By this afternoon her temp had dropped to 103.4- without any new meds. After finally getting with the vet this afternoon- Zoey got another injection of antibiotics (Exede) and I was sent home with injections of Nuflor to give her if the temp runs up again.

So fingers crossed- the vet said the next ten days will be very critical.

Thanks for all the advice, it really helped.

Sandy

Bridgemoof

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I was almost afraid to read this post! I'm so glad she is still hanging in there. Poor little thing. I really hope she gets better soon. :(

ZoeytheLamb

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi Bridget!

Yes, Zoey is doing better. It was scary there for a bit- temp skyrocketing, she was getting more and more lethargic and I couldn't get a hold of her vet!!! I was so worried. At work everyone was trying to prepare me that she was going to die- some said stop trying just let her go- but I couldn't do that. By the time I got home, her temp had dropped on its own- with no added meds!

The vet is leaning towards there being an abcess of some kind and since they don't have a blood supply you really can't get meds to it to clear it up. She is hoping that by keeping her on meds that will allow her system time to deal with it. She said the only other alternative is surgery and she said that wasn't a good option- plus that would be way out of our price range to handle. So we wait... that is the hard part- not knowing what her future holds. But right now she is happy and running and playing outside and seems to be feeling fine.

That's for thinking about her! I'll keep you posted.

All the best,
Sandy

Bridgemoof

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
How is Zoey doing? Haven't heard anything in a while, and I'm hoping she is doing okay!

ZoeytheLamb

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi Bridget and Everyone!

Thank you so much for your concern for Zoey. She is doing okay, I've been really depressed about her- she continues to run a fever, but is active and gaining weight- she is now up to 20 pounds.

I had a talk with the vet last week and she said if this round of antibiotics doesn't work then I need to consider putting her down. When I look at her running around and jumping and so frisky, it just breaks my heart to think about ending her life.

Since she is getting more accustomed to eating grass she no longer grinds her teeth. She has suffered two bouts of loose stools in the last 14 days- they contain a lot of mucous, Both bouts lasted just one day (they were one week apart). I gave her some Lamb and Kid paste and that seemed to stop the problem.

But the mucous is not a good sign the vet said. As of today her stools are normal- so what could be causing the mucous????

She is starting to eat more grass- nibble at alfalfa hay and showing some interest in her grain. But the bottle is still her main source of nourishment. She just started with eating grass two weeks ago, and the loose mucous stools occurred - her vet isn't sure if the issue is related.

She is simply a darling, just as cute as a button- and appears so happy. Sorry I haven't written, I've been so worried about her I haven't even been on the computer until today.

Thanks for caring about Zoey! It's a comfort to know you guys care, really it means a lot to me.

Sandy