1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. To geld or not to geld? That is the question
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

A NEW DIRECTION FOR THE OLD RAM

Discussion in 'Everything Else Sheep' started by The Old Ram-Australia, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Oct 9, 2017
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

Kangaroos and wombats? :lol: That is so far from my reality that I just have to laugh. We have white tail deer, which jump fences or crawl through. They really don't damage anything. But we have feral hogs which are terribly destructive. They plow through fences, root up pastures and hayfields, destroy crops, kill and eat fawns, lambs, any small animal they can catch. We haven't had any on our place, but they are all around us.

So sorry that both of you have had the flu, glad that it is just about gone. I hate being sick! Hope your cough goes away soon.

2. Oct 10, 2017
    The Old Ram-Australia

The Old Ram-Australia Loving the herd life

G'day,I forgot the odd visit from foxes and wild pigs,but further West the farmers also have Emu's, camels, buffalo,wild horses,deer and wild dogs.So we are pretty lucky in some respects.The new fence wire layout I am considering maybe effective against pigs I think,it requires permanent fencing with HT barb strained to over 150 kg and the plains at about 200 kg anyway as I said I will post detailed photos once it is constructed.Meanwhile I am adding barbs to our existing fence layouts....T.O.R.

3. Oct 10, 2017
    Bossroo

Bossroo True BYH Addict

TOR , when you have barbs on your fence wire, mysteriously wool will soon cover the barbs mostly in the same places, but soon other areas of wool covered barbs will appear. Put an add in the real estate section for bird housing for free building material and Lady Gould finches, Cockatoos, parakeets, etc will asnwer your add in droves. Soon you will have free labor for wool removal as well as weed seed control.

frustratedearthmother likes this.
  4. Oct 10, 2017
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

LOL! You have waaay more problems with animals than we do! Some areas have bears and cougars, but thankfully we don't have them here.

5. Oct 11, 2017 at 3:41 AM
    The Old Ram-Australia

The Old Ram-Australia Loving the herd life

Rest In Peace my old friend.Today Jack left the farm to go to the big stockyards in the sky, like the true gentleman he was there was no fuss, he just slipped away quietly with no stress or pain.

Tomorrow I will lay him to rest under a big old gum tree near to the shearing shed so he can observe the goings on for the years to come.

My friend and mate for over 15 years, no more will he have to muster cranky mobs in frost and sometimes snow or be out in the paddock when it’s almost 40 C. Instead the weather will always be “kind” and there will be lots of time just laying in the shade of the shed.

But Jack lives on by way of his son Max and I’m sure he will do his dad proud as he grows in confidence and maturity.T.O.R.

6. Oct 11, 2017 at 6:46 AM
    Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Herd Master

7. Oct 11, 2017 at 9:15 AM
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Herd Master

So sorry for your loss. :hugs

8. Oct 11, 2017 at 6:07 PM
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

Awww..... I am so sorry that you have lost your friend. There is such a deep love from a dog that makes me wonder whatever did we do to deserve such devotion. They bring us such joy and it hurts so bad when they leave. I am glad that you have his son, Max.

9. Oct 12, 2017 at 11:57 AM
    Bossroo

Bossroo True BYH Addict

TOR - I am so sorry to hear that Jack has left your farm to go to work at the big stockyard in the sky.

10. Oct 14, 2017 at 8:16 PM
    Mike CHS

Mike CHS Herd Master

Those kind of dogs never leave you but they do leave a void.