A single cow with friend that's going to freezer?

Ellie May

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a pet midsize mini Aberdeen Angus heifer that I got as a yearling and is now 18 months. (don't shoot me, I know they are herd animals but as a pet, she will also live a LOT longer than your average cow, so, trade off)

Very friendly and seems quite content. Up until now I have been able to put her in my neighbor's 2 acre pasture daily, but that's come to an end and now she's in a smaller dry lot, and I have a couple of mini sheep and mini donkeys around too. She misses going over to the pasture daily, and I think she's getting bored.

Have a neighbor that has an Angus heifer about the same age that wlll be going to the freezer in a couple of months. My question is, if I take my girl over there for companionship, is she going to be better off for a couple of months, or when that cow is gone, she will be more discontented being a single cow again?

I know there's no hard and fast answers to this but wondering if what other's experiences might be.

Thanks

Ellie May

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
She’s very used to the other animals, just no cow friends.

Spokeless Wheel

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have a pet midsize mini Aberdeen Angus heifer that I got as a yearling and is now 18 months. (don't shoot me, I know they are herd animals but as a pet, she will also live a LOT longer than your average cow, so, trade off)

Very friendly and seems quite content. Up until now I have been able to put her in my neighbor's 2 acre pasture daily, but that's come to an end and now she's in a smaller dry lot, and I have a couple of mini sheep and mini donkeys around too. She misses going over to the pasture daily, and I think she's getting bored.

Have a neighbor that has an Angus heifer about the same age that wlll be going to the freezer in a couple of months. My question is, if I take my girl over there for companionship, is she going to be better off for a couple of months, or when that cow is gone, she will be more discontented being a single cow again?

I know there's no hard and fast answers to this but wondering if what other's experiences might be.

Thanks
I bought Stella a Jersey cow 14 years ago. She was 2 years old and I kept her with my horses and goats on 4 acres without any problems. Three years ago I moved to a large farm in Kentucky and bought a few more cattle. The first one Sadie was a miniature and the two animals bonded immediately. They can still be seen hanging out licking each other's faces. I would leave your heifer with the mini sheep and donkeys until you decide to get another bovine buddy for her. I couldn't think of separating Stella & Sadie now. It would break their hearts.

Attachments

• DSCN8211.JPG
    DSCN8211.JPG
    400.4 KB · Views: 88