Abscess in one month old calf

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@TAH he's doing well thanks! I haven't managed to get a picture as I have been busy and my mom has been on the daylight shifts! But it's about 75% down in size and he's acting normal which is great. I held off on banding the little guy to give his infection time to heal but I think I may give him one more round of antibiotics (just to be safe) and band him

Mikethepigman

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Oh man my two week old Jersey calf has a lump. Same spot. Just seen.
IMG_20161201_174254361.jpg

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Mikethepigman looks exactly like my calves! He was about a month old so not much older. Is your calf munching on grain or hay? The vet said this is really common! It's more than likely an abscess. Is the calf acting normal?

The vet came lanced it and gave him antibiotics. I followed up the antibiotics 4 days later. I also cleaned it every bottle feeding with iodine and used a hot compress after with a little pressure to try and drain it for about a week and a half. Took awhile to fully go away but after a month it was tiny now it's completely gone. If you feel comfortable lancing it yourself I think that's ok I just wasn't. I would definitely administer antibiotics and check the calves temp.

Oh I also gave electrolytes every day at noon for a week. That could have been over kill but I do that for all my sick bottle calves regardless of what kind of illness and especially one that's on antibiotics.

Mikethepigman

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yes the bedding is a hay/ straw mix. Idk how the guy bales it like that but I got some. I've noticed there was prickly weeds in the mix also. I'd bet that's what did it but no real way to tell. Today they got new actual just straw bedding. I did see them nosing the bedding, did know that young calfs mouths were so fragile, fist time with calfs. However, learnt that one and now to move forward with my little buddy. By chance do you know what antibiotics he was giving them? I think I could lance it open, just not 100% on when and what angle. Maybe YouTube has video. He is feeding fine, gets around fine, acts fine, just has a lump. What temp should he be at? And how do I pull a temp?

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
A normal temperature would be 101.5 or right around there. Just get a normal temperature gauge like the one that goes under your tongue and put it in the calfs bum :).

I can't remember the name of the antibiotic but if you go to your local vet that sells it they would be able to recommend one. I use resflor or nuflor for everything tho.

Honestly if you haven't lanced before on your own I would call a vet.

I use straw with shavings over top.

Mikethepigman

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ah the Ol business end lol ok will do. I will look into the resflor and nuflor. I say never lanced but I have castrated a great number piglets and handy with a razor, just not on a calf or face..by chance do you remember what the vet bill was on something like that??

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Honestly if you haven't lanced before on your own I would call a vet.

AND never allow contents or drainage on the ground. If it is one of the "bad" bacteria you can end up infecting a whole herd by contaminating and infecting the ground.

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My vet is crazy expensive! Cost me about $400! Well if you are handy with a razor go for it, I am not! When I get to my office in the morning where the invoice is I'll look up the antibiotic they prescribed and I'll Let you know. Give me until 9am PST.

Bottle calves are very tough at times. I raised 8 this season and 2 got sick, not the best odds!

When they are sick keep them hydrated and warm. Always have electrolytes on hand. If the get the runs always give electrolytes. The one thing I learnt is treat quickly when sick...it's crazy how fast they turn and how resilient they aren't at this age

Mikethepigman

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ok yea I'd appreciate the info. These are my first four calfs. $160 for all four, figured it would be nice to have the calfs and wean them to resale. My one buddy told me to check the rear end, if it's dry feed them,if its wet treat them. Said nothing about lumps lol.at any rate sounds like I need to be on my toes with these four. @Southern by choice I think you've just help me decide to sit this one out and get a pro to handle it. Not so much worried about the lancing part, jist the biosecurity that needs to take place. I do thank the both you very much for all your help and advice. Tomorrow brings a new day and a new farm bill with a call to the vet lol @cjc whenever is fine for the info on the antibiotics, I work till 4. Not sure what time zone lol but can't be too far off yours. oh and by chance is any one calf starter better than the others??

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
@cjc I have been toying with the idea of raising a bottle calf since I will most likely have extra goat's milk for a while. Why do you think they are so hard to raise? Is it the feeding that they just don't really take to?