Acceptable behavior for a meat rabbit?

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think "acceptable" is the relevant word here. I have had a lot of rabbits that got cranky when they entered puberty; getting territorial about their cages is pretty normal. For me, the tipping point is degree, and does the rabbit stay that way? I have a scar on my wrist to remind me of a Netherland Dwarf buck that got so bad, he would lunge at the front of the cage if someone just walked by. As others have said, some get over it, some don't. Since I deal with breeds that are mostly sold as pets, temperament is very important to me. Not every baby of a cuddlebug bunny pair will be like their parents, but nasty rabbits are more likely to give birth to nasty rabbits.

To a rabbit, 'high' is dominant, 'low' is submissive. If I had to deal with a rabbit like this, I would keep my hands high in the cage, and only approach her when she is exhibiting submissive body language. Taking her out of her cage for attention is good, since the fight usually goes out of them when you get them out of their territory. I don't expect all of my rabbits to be in-my-face friendly, but if they won't at least tolerate me doing what I have to do, they vote themselves out of the gene pool.

Either she did not like that I was always checking on and counting her kits or she just preferred men.

Rabbits are very much aware of who they are dealing with. Years ago, I had a young Harlequin doe that was everybody's doll baby around here. We had a harness that we would put on her and let her wander around - she loved it so much, we called her "Dora the Explorer." But when I took her to her first ARBA show, she nearly got herself put off the table because she started growling and striking at the judge! I poked her on the backside a couple of times to get her attention; she whipped around to deal with this new antagonist, and I said, "Easy, baby, easy! It's just me!" She stood up on her back legs, put both front paws on my shoulder, and put her head under my chin. She stood like that for a minute or so as I stroked her and spoke to her softly. Finally, she settled back on the table, and I told the judge, "she's not mean, just . . . overwhelmed." He was a bit gingerly about the way he handled her after that, but she was fine; at least she didn't get thrown out of the class.

Last edited: