ADGA paperwork issue

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
Long story short, the buckling a bought a while back (ND) was tattoed when we got him, but she didn't submit his paperwork. I thoughtyou had to wait on the paperwork to comeback in to tattoo, but I may be wrong?

They shot back his paperwork saying the tattoo belongs to another member, which is correct, it belongs to the breeder. I sent them the picture of her being registered to the tattoo. They sent back and told me I still couldn't keep his tattoo, and recommended I add a letter. That's fine. I added the letter they told me to on his tail webbing.

Is this because he was tattoo'd by the breeder and it belongs to her not me, when I am the one who submitted the paperwork?

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did they not give you the application for registration with the transfer section filled out and signed by them?
Most goats that I sell I have not already registered
I provide the buyer the application for registration filled out and there is a section wher you transfer ownwrrship
at the same time

Never had the problem you are encountering

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did the breeder you purchase from, give you a bill of sale? I know when we bought our buck, we were given a bill of sale listing his information.

@OneFineAcre or others might know better

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Most likely, the breeder was using a tattoo that, with ADGA, is registered to a different breeder. I had that problem with 2 bucks I bought from a herd that wasn't registered in ADGA. The tattoos were already being used by another breeder that ADGA had on file, so I added the letter to the tail web to solve the problem.

For my own tattoos, I checked with both ADGA and AGS at the same time I joined, to be sure both would accept the same combo.

Shouldn't have anything to do with you submitting the paperwork. I give applications to new owners all the time. I fill in the breeder info and animal info, the new owner adds the rest of the animals name (the breeders herd name is the first part of the name of kids born on their farm) and their own info and submits it with payment.

Also for dairy goats, I am of the understanding that the tattoos are supposed to be on the animals before you submit the paperwork.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
When we got Ginger she was only registered with AGS
When we applied to register her with ADGA her LF was already taken by another member so we had to add a Q to her tail web

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
received_10209776218780394.jpeg

AGS accepted her tattoo, but ADGA did not. I have lost the copy of her ADGA tattoo certification.

This is in his left ear.

She signed a bill of transfer and his "birth certificate" paper both. I sent both of those in. When I called ADGA I left a message, hoping to find out if her tattoo expired and was grabbed up by another member.

They also dropped her herd name off, and he's now just "The Hollar Too". He was GreenwoodAcre The Hollar Too. They sent back originally and said the herd name did not exist. Which doesnt make sense because all of her goats were branded with this name.

I will be tattooing a few this weekend that I haven't yet for their upcoming show, and I will add the "Q" to his tail at that time. Then all is well with him.

Could her membership have run out and she didn't realize? She said everything was PIF through September and it's only August, this has been a battle since July.It feels like his paperwork will never be right. :idunno

First was his ears were missing, sent it back in.

Got a letter back sayingthey corrected his name as the herd name was... missing? I don't remember and I already sent it back with corrections.

Third time said his tattoo belonged to another member and they gave me a letter and location so the process could be completed. Just dropped that back in the mail.

Lyra had similar issues with her herd name. She's just DA Lyra instead of CloverfieldGoats DA Lyra.

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
AGS accepted everything no problem, I have to submit a name change and add a tattoo when ADGA is all settled.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
The first goats I bought I had to add a Q to their tattoo as the breeders membership had expired and therefore her tattoo couldn't be used. But her herd name was still used so ???

Technically you aren't supposed to tattoo until the registration has been accepted but I always do them when I sell them and just fill out the application and transfer the ownership. I guess if I ever make a mistake on the tattoo letter or number it will be a problem.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am of the understanding you do tattoo prior to... On the application you fill that out and goats are to be tattooed before being sold... I guess I should look in the rule book.