Adopting barn cats

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Before I moved to the country I couldn't stand cart. They're stand-offish, don't play, are loners and completely useless. Definitely not man's best friend! Or so I thought. I moved to the country which had 2 barn cats. Once I saw the amount of mice and rats and birds and snakes they caught, they started talking up there as a definite necessity! Don't know what I would do without my Kitty-kitty and Cat-cat now.

DustyBoot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We brought home two cats yesterday and have installed them in their acclimation pen. Both males, grey/brown tabbies. This morning one of them let us lay eyes on him, so that's something.

I don't love cats as pets, although I have two of them. I do like some cats on an individual basis. Good barn cats, though, are worth their weight in gold as far as I'm concerned.

DustyBoot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, we got two and set them up in the crate. After a week or two, one managed to squeeze out and disappeared. I've seen him once or twice since, so I'm hopeful he's sticking around. Unfortunately the other cat ("Barney" -- I'm running low on creative names!) is still living in the crate because the cat door has yet to be installed in the shed. Hopefully that's happening tomorrow. On the bright side, I haven't noticed any evidence of mice getting at the feed since the cats were first installed! Barney seems to accept my existence, but hasn't shown any overtures of friendliness. He doesn't bolt for cover instantly, but definitely not coming to the door for attention either.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, we got two and set them up in the crate. After a week or two, one managed to squeeze out and disappeared. I've seen him once or twice since, so I'm hopeful he's sticking around. Unfortunately the other cat ("Barney" -- I'm running low on creative names!) is still living in the crate because the cat door has yet to be installed in the shed. Hopefully that's happening tomorrow. On the bright side, I haven't noticed any evidence of mice getting at the feed since the cats were first installed! Barney seems to accept my existence, but hasn't shown any overtures of friendliness. He doesn't bolt for cover instantly, but definitely not coming to the door for attention either.
I was at a friends house today talking about cats. They told me that he had been given a cat by someone he knew but the cat up and disappeared. A year and a half later when he was out BBQing the cat came back asking for food. He fed it and the cat hadn't left since. Bring out the BBQ!

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but how have things faired with your barn cat/s? We are seriously planning to get a couple as I can‘t stand the rodents. I‘m concerned about how my LGDs will be with cats and if the cats will bother my chickens. I‘m concerned that I’m adding a necessary link in my little circle of life. I’d love some advice.

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I don't know about any other person but my LGD and cat love each other. None of my cats, even the new one, ever attached my chickens either, even when they were chicks. Just me though.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Not sure if I'm looking for advice, or just to document this process for posterity. Guess I'll take it either way! We're seeing significant evidence of mice, so getting barn cats has jumped from "yeah, we should look into that" to "can we pick some up tomorrow?" status. Last time I lived in the country, the house came with a barn cat and we had a couple more show up over the time we lived there. So I know they can be incredibly helpful, but finding one is new to me.

Definitely want adult, outdoor-savvy cats, and we want them spayed or neutered because the last thing we need is a cat colony. The local animal shelter takes in feral cats and adopts them out as barn cats after taking care of basic medical needs, spay/neuter, and vaccinations. Free. I'd prefer friendly cats, but maybe they'll get used to us with time. The shelter recommends keeping the cats contained for the first two to four weeks while they acclimate. I've got a giant dog crate I'm setting up in the shed where we keep feed, tools, and other stuff, so that's the plan. Once we're ready to let them loose, I'm thinking we'll install a cat door up on the wall of the shed with a "front porch" platform in front of it. The theory is that the cats can jump to the platform and get in, but it will be harder for other critters to access. Seems worth a shot, at least.

We have coyotes and bobcats and other critters around here, but my hope is that the LGDs create enough of a safety zone around at least the central area of the property that the cats will be ok -- plus there are lots of places to hide, and they'll have access to the shed. The LGDs are supposed to be cat-friendly, so that shouldn't be an issue.

It's interesting to see ecosystems at work. We wanted the coyotes and bobcats and other small predators out, so we brought in our "larger predators" -- the dogs -- and it seems to have worked. We see the coyotes and bobcats around the perimeter of the property, but we haven't lost anything while the dogs have been around. Those dogs are worth their weight in gold, and I've been glad to solve the predation issue without any trapping or killing. We've just carved out our own little niche, and the wildlife can carry on around us without major disruption. But, getting rid of the coyotes and their ilk gives the small pests free reign. Mice, squirrels, rabbits -- we're seeing more and more of those. Time to replace the small predators with some of our own too. :)
They said that these felines are often not capable of being house pets and often the only choice is to euthanize. Try me. I can take care of them

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Not sure if I'm looking for advice, or just to document this process for posterity. Guess I'll take it either way! We're seeing significant evidence of mice, so getting barn cats has jumped from "yeah, we should look into that" to "can we pick some up tomorrow?" status. Last time I lived in the country, the house came with a barn cat and we had a couple more show up over the time we lived there. So I know they can be incredibly helpful, but finding one is new to me.

Definitely want adult, outdoor-savvy cats, and we want them spayed or neutered because the last thing we need is a cat colony. The local animal shelter takes in feral cats and adopts them out as barn cats after taking care of basic medical needs, spay/neuter, and vaccinations. Free. I'd prefer friendly cats, but maybe they'll get used to us with time. The shelter recommends keeping the cats contained for the first two to four weeks while they acclimate. I've got a giant dog crate I'm setting up in the shed where we keep feed, tools, and other stuff, so that's the plan. Once we're ready to let them loose, I'm thinking we'll install a cat door up on the wall of the shed with a "front porch" platform in front of it. The theory is that the cats can jump to the platform and get in, but it will be harder for other critters to access. Seems worth a shot, at least.

We have coyotes and bobcats and other critters around here, but my hope is that the LGDs create enough of a safety zone around at least the central area of the property that the cats will be ok -- plus there are lots of places to hide, and they'll have access to the shed. The LGDs are supposed to be cat-friendly, so that shouldn't be an issue.

It's interesting to see ecosystems at work. We wanted the coyotes and bobcats and other small predators out, so we brought in our "larger predators" -- the dogs -- and it seems to have worked. We see the coyotes and bobcats around the perimeter of the property, but we haven't lost anything while the dogs have been around. Those dogs are worth their weight in gold, and I've been glad to solve the predation issue without any trapping or killing. We've just carved out our own little niche, and the wildlife can carry on around us without major disruption. But, getting rid of the coyotes and their ilk gives the small pests free reign. Mice, squirrels, rabbits -- we're seeing more and more of those. Time to replace the small predators with some of our own too. :)
Bard cats are so naughty, I would rather stick to dogs. at least they are easy to train.