Advice and opinions on what to get next.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I get hoppers but not normally badly or big ones. The chickens normally devour them here -- they free range. When I cut the grass the chickens follow and have a feast! :)

Gardens -- well mine wasn't real good this year either. So, you're not alone. I chose an area never used for garden but a pasture for 20 yrs. WHAT a job. Roots to China. Still some issues but most are out now after about 10 disc with tractor & a couple rototills. :th Not everything got planted and what did fought grass. But -- next year :old:lol: So, don't beat yourself up too bad....it's really, really hard to get started.

You'll get some Fall things growing -- I know I will!. Seven dust, soapy water, things like that help.

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't plant a fall garden. With freezes in mid September and reduced light I don't know what would grow.
Yeah we’ve had snow on the ground and below freezing temps by September. Not always some years it’s still in the 60-70s in September. But we never rely on that kind of weather that close to fall. It’s pretty common to have snow on the ground by October that’s pretty regular. I do have a small green house we are using this year. So I think some things like potatoes or turnips could survive in there longer. I planted a few things in there but the hoppers found a way in there too. They didn’t do as much damage my tomatoes are doing good but they got my broccoli and aphids got my pepper plants. This is our first real go at it though so we didn’t plant a ton until we figure out what does good and what doesn’t. Example I won’t plant artichokes again hahaha they take up a ton of room and I might get one artichoke out of it. But that was my fault for not researching properly. I saw some starts for sale at the store and thought hey I love artichokes, turns out they are not a plant for Montana.

MtViking

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@MtViking , I can commiserate on the grasshopper issue. This year they aren't bad, they all must be at your place :confused:. Here's a link to a product I've used with some success. The County extension pest guy told me I was wasting my money on this treatment, because they can vector in from far away, but I saw definite results. You can read up on Nosema Locustae, hopefully Planet Natural is not the only place that carries the bait. I'm sad to see they are closing.
My Mother in law told me the local ag store sells that bait so I’m gonna check it out. She’s had great luck with it over the years. She did say we need to use it early on to really get the effects. Her garden got destroyed by them too.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score

Buy it on Amazon. I use it as a wormer for my sheep. It's not 100% on the sheep, but it cuts down on having to use the chemical wormers as often. Haha, i need to load up the pump up sprayer and use some on MY garden! I got grass hoppers too.