Alaskan's Journal

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Washing machine stopped working, I figured out it must be the draining pump.

Didn't see it for sale on the brand name site.. guess they just sell to certified repair peeps.

So I found an after market one that said it would fit my model. I ordered it, didn’t cost much, 25 or just 30....

Anyway, it showed up... I handed it to the 13 year old, told him to look it up on you tube and fix it.

Took the poor kid forever. He had to take off the back, then the top, then the full front including the door and gasket (front loader). At one point he was stuck, i looked it over, gave a few pointers and told 15 year old to pitch in for a little.

Then it was back to the youngest.

He got it all back together.... tried to start it up, it wouldn't. He immediately realized he hadn't rehooked up the electric to the door. He did that and it started up. I told him to sit and watch it since a leak the first time through was highly likely.

He watched it, it did leak, but just a little since he was there to shut it off. He redid the door gasket and tried again.

Now it works great. BUT that drain pump is loud, not like the original.

Kid # 3, about to turn 18, my mechanical kid, came home. The 2 of us stood there and listened to that new pump. I asked him what he thought. We both agreed it didn't sound like it was installed wrong, it just sounded like a loud pump. He glanced over at me and said "That right there, is the sound of an aftermarket part."

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
So what you're saying.... is your washing machine is one of those wanna-be hot rods now? Got a coffee can muffler? :lol: ooo! It needs a big spoiler!

Congrats to your 13yo though!! That is impressive. And amazing resiliency for a tough job. Parenting goals!
:lol:

No space for a spoiler! But now that is what I will think EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. it drains.
:lol:

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Animals:

I keep pairing down as the kids age...

But I have had horses, goats, ducks, chickens, geese, pigs, and turkeys, parrots, and dogs.

As to crops:

If you are really into crops, look into land inthe MatSu area. They get more heat so can grow more stuff.

Living on the coast, I don't get that cold in the winter, but I also don't get that warm in the summer..

I can grow all cool season crops... anything that wants heat needs a greenhouse or equivalent.

What is interesting here... is the VAST difference in growing ability between one spot and the next.

My NEIGHBOR, yep, just a far tossed stones throw away, gets strawberries a week or more before I do. Their bed is angled better than mine, gets a tad more sun. Also their bed is lined in rocks which reflect the sun and help melt off the snow a bit faster.

I am high up, almost 1,300 feet elevation, and so my growing season is maybe a month or even more shorter than those at a lower elevation. But, up here "on the hill" I have better water. Most of the houses down "on the bench" (a flat bench of land that gradually slopes upwards, but is mostly at 200 feet elevation) have to have their water delivered. There is water down there, but most wells have to go through a coal layer to get to the water, and coal water isn't good.

When we first moved here we lived on the bench and had apple-crabs and a HUGE highly productive garden. We actually did have water because we were on a creek, and tapped into the underground creek flow. But that didn't last long, since an earthquake messed up the pipe.

The further inland you go, the warmer the summer, but the colder the winters.

And God help you if you pick a property that is north facing... because you will want to up and die! Truly, like living in a dark pit of despair!

Pictures from 2 days back:
20211012_144809.jpg

That one tree that is golden yellow is a birch... my lone birch! I am too high up for birches and such, and that is a straggler. The rest of the trees are spruce. There are alder bushes and elderberry and rose bushes along the drive.

Alaska is surprisingly monoculture-esk. Coming from Texas it is impressive.
20211012_145000.jpg

20211012_145026.jpg

Hidden in there is a pond and the pond coop.

20211012_145302.jpg