Alaskan's Journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our daughter is a college professor, graduated with her Bachlor's at 19, had 2 Masters Degrees at 22. She is 34 now, married (at 19) has 3 girls and will finish her Doctorate this summer. A university in Edmond, Oklahoma is interested in her and will let her know next week if she has the job or not. Her husband is equally brilliant and is a public school Assistant Principle.

My son is 38, finished high school and got jobs doing various things, even a carnival job making funnel cakes in Chicago one time. He got a job in Galveston, sending supplies out to the oil drilling platforms out in the Gulf of Mexico, there he found his career job. He ran cranes. The place he worked was an under the radar type of place, he was not licensed for any of the things that they had him doing. He took the classes, got his first license, and was on his way. He is now licensed for every type of crane except the ones on top of tall buildings, he wanted no part of that. He also is safety certified. He loves what he does, and until Covid hit, was making crap loads of money. He has invested it well. His house is a very nice RV 5th wheel, he usually drives a fairly new truck and writes off his expenses. He bought a house 2 years ago that needed lots of work, it is on 2 1/2 acres. He is doing a lot of work on the whole place. His goal is to fix up the house for a rental, add a double wide for rental and have a place to park his RV when he is in from a job. He just got two 40' Conex box shipping containers this week. They are going to be his storage and he's going to build a roof between them for RV parking. Covid grounded him in January 2020. He found a local job as the crane operator and is happy in his work. His only complaint is that it now takes him a month to make what he used to make in a week, he's waiting on the big jobs to come back, then he'll be gone again. He is equally brilliant as his sister, but has no desire for academics.

As already quoted, each kid is different. They will find their place in life, it is up to us as parents to see that they get all they NEED, not WANT, as children, a firm foundation that they can build on.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Picture from today, looking out my front door... right after I had the youngest chop steps into the snow slope that leads down to my door.

20210403_183315.jpg