Alaskan's Journal

CLSranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
70°F the last 3 days, unreal!!

And yes us wimpy northerns DO think that is hot on a sunny day.
It hit 82 Sun. 65 yesterday so I wore my thermals all day and a hoodie under my long sleeve until 10 am., then got cold after lunch with the north wind.
I do NOT like it cold. Even the cold here. When working up North the northerns give me grief about freezing. I say come to OK when it's 115f in the shade with 92% humidity and haul hay with me. I can't anymore but we used to put up 15,000 bales a week at times. Average was 1,200 a day depending on the baler. Now I wouldn't want 1,200 a week.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
It was nice of them to let you ride on the hay instead of inside the stuffy cab.
:lol: I am not that old.

By that time ridding on a lap was illegal (I think) but riding in the bed or a pickup truck, or a stock trailer made of metal pipe and full of hay, was just fine.

Thet made riding in the bed illegal... in the 90s????

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@CLSranch , we do a fair amount of sq bales.... mostly all 2nd cutting as we mostly roll all first cutting.... but a good day for us is about 3-500.... that is a kicker baler and stacking in the wagon so they don't get all mis-shapen since sometimes it is several days or more until they get unloaded.... usually sold and delivered. Since my ankle and knee problems, I can no longer ride the wagon to stack.... so we have the kicker.... I do most all the raking and tedding, DS does the cutting and then baling.... and he works full time with VDOT.... plus all our cattle... I think the most we did in a day was about 800-1000.... but we had help and several of the wagons got unloaded right onto a couple of people's trailers and trucks right at the field....we have 5 wagons so can handle 5-600 at best if stacked real high....

Hoping that I can do more once the knees get replaced...but it is a "young persons job" more than a "old persons job".

CLSranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hoping that I can do more once the knees get replaced...but it is a "young persons job" more than a "old persons job".
Your darn right. That was half my life time ago and with a hay monster. For those that don't know what that is it's a EX school bus or fire truck stripped down and turned into a flat bed then ad a nose with a chain drive that picks them up and puts them on/off the flat bed so no bucking on the trailer and less bucking in the barn. It IS GREAT if that's all you do for a living.