Alaskan's Journal

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Very

Pretty . Is that a floating A frame for ducks?
Yes, I wanted to get barrow golden eyes to nest there (I researched their nests). They visit it and play in it, as do other visiting ducks, but no one has nested on it.

It has sunk a bit over the years... I think it is a bit too low now for nesting. But, since visiting ducks like to perch on it, eh... I have left it as is, since they do enjoy it.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
NPR reports bad weather coming your way! Of course Alaska is a BIG state, the weather might be far from you, I don't know.
Yes... very far away. Nothing at all where I am at.

;)

I have a friend with family in that region... the big problem is that the small villages have zero home owners insurance. And yes, some places are near the beach and low.

As of this morning, No update from the friend's family..... :idunno

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love the contrasting church bells!
How come villagers have no insurance?

I'd guess the insurers won't write it....
Yep, insurers won't give them any. Everything there is either really low quality HUD housing, or "home built."

Also, there isn't a market for houses. If you want to sell a house, no one will buy it.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sunrise today.... at.... uh... 8:35 ish.

I had to wait on the flagger.

Road construction season is in panic/wind it up mode...

20221005_082556.jpg

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
So... 2 nights back... I heard something..

I looked out, a black bear was crawling into the back of son's truck to get the trash we had put in there that day.... and run out of time to take to the dump.

Son was still awake... I told him... he is all "WHERE are the guns!!!" (They had been moved) then he was "is it legal? Is it in season now?? I CAN'T REMEMBER!!!!" I had no idea, and said so... so he said "Fine! With the airsoft then!" (To hurt, make him run off,but not wound) And I just said "son, son, remember the cost of replacing the back window of your truck!" (The way everything was setup, the back window of the truck would be the backstop of the shot). His response to that comment was funny because he was so incredibly deadpan and matter of fact "I won't miss"

:lol:

I then remembered the marksmanship competitions he kept winning......

Anyway...

Lots of trash has been cleaned up... truck took a load to the dump... youngest reinforced our trash box (bear had broken into it).

It turns out we COULD have killed and eaten the bear, the season is open.... ah well.....