AmberLops Rabbitry Journal

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Miss @AmberLops,

It breaks my heart to read this! You are one of the nicest folks I know, and have quickly become one of my favorites here on the forum. I can't offer any words of advice on top of what others have suggested. And if you have read my journal lately, you will understand I would even be reluctant to offer it even if I did have some advice. I can only tell you that I care for you and truly wish you the best.

Senile Texas Aggie
Thank you, that really means a lot to me :hugs
And please don't change who you are. People will just have to deal with you being you. I don't see anything wrong with caring and asking questions...if someone doesn't want to answer, then don't answer! But don't change for other people.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Miss @AmberLops,

It breaks my heart to read this! You are one of the nicest folks I know, and have quickly become one of my favorites here on the forum. I can't offer any words of advice on top of what others have suggested. And if you have read my journal lately, you will understand I would even be reluctant to offer it even if I did have some advice. I can only tell you that I care for you and truly wish you the best.

Senile Texas Aggie
STA you ask me anything that you want to. You will not offend me. My daughter is a college professor teaching media. She says many of the people in the media have Aspergers. They ask the questions that everyone else is too polite to ask, they have no problem being direct. She said the AS students drive the other professors crazy with their questions, directness and no to little filters on what they say, but she likes them. My son in law is adult diagnosed ADD and he always reminded me of someone with Aspergers. His thought process is logical, direct and does not run down the train tracks like everyone else's. That has made him an outstanding individual. So I kinda know where you are coming from. I know that you are a good man with a good heart and would never intentionally be rude or hurt anyone's feelings. So anything you want to know, ask or say to me, have at it. I wouldn't have you any other way.

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
STA you ask me anything that you want to. You will not offend me. My daughter is a college professor teaching media. She says many of the people in the media have Aspergers. They ask the questions that everyone else is too polite to ask, they have no problem being direct. She said the AS students drive the other professors crazy with their questions, directness and no to little filters on what they say, but she likes them. My son in law is adult diagnosed ADD and he always reminded me of someone with Aspergers. His thought process is logical, direct and does not run down the train tracks like everyone else's. That has made him an outstanding individual. So I kinda know where you are coming from. I know that you are a good man with a good heart and would never intentionally be rude or hurt anyone's feelings. So anything you want to know, ask or say to me, have at it. I wouldn't have you any other way.
x1000!

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's been a few days since I posted on here, so here goes!
This morning I noticed that one of Jessie's kits (now 6 weeks old) lost a lot of weight since yesterday...so I made a concentrated version of the vitamin/electrolyte/probiotic water I give the rabbits, syringed it and he was acting fine...not lethargic or weak at all. I thought he would make it, but when I came home from work, he was dead :(

On a brighter note, I have 3 rabbits selling tomorrow! 2 angoras and a netherland dwarf and a lop!
I have 2 litters of Lionhead kits that are around 2 and 3 weeks old now.
Out of my Charlie-colored Lionhead doe (Emma) I got a Chestnut Charlie kit! I didn't even know that was possible! I'll have to get pictures, it's beautiful :love

Hope everyone has a great night :frow

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Gosh, Miss @AmberLops! It seems you have had a number of your kits die. Is that normal? Please understand that I am not criticizing your raising methods. I am instead just wondering if the mortality rate of kits is higher than other mammals and that is why they breed "like rabbits" -- to have enough to survive to adulthood!

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Gosh, Miss @AmberLops! It seems you have had a number of your kits die. Is that normal? Please understand that I am not criticizing your raising methods. I am instead just wondering if the mortality rate of kits is higher than other mammals and that is why they breed "like rabbits" -- to have enough to survive to adulthood!
Yep...sadly, it's pretty normal. Kits have a high mortality rate from birth until about 10 weeks old.
As newborns, they can die from being too hot, too cold, stepped on by the mama rabbit or a million other reasons. And weaning is the hardest time for them and when you're most likely to lose them. Stress on the body from weaning can cause dysbiosis, which can create enterotoxemia which will kill the kit 9 out of 10 times. Then you have the 'faders' who seem to just die for no real reason...like Jessie's kit. No diarrhea, not lethargic, still eating and drinking normal.

I have the most problems with my 'dwarf breeds'...Hollands Lops and Netherland Dwarfs.
But not all of them! I have a doe who gives me 7 kits (wow!) every litter, and so far I've only lost 1 every time. Jessie usually has issues with her litters. She sometimes has 2 and 1 makes it but this litter she had 6, one went missing (not sure if you read that earlier on my journal) and now this one didn't make it...so 2 out of 6 is not bad for a dwarf breed litter.

My Lionheads have been doing great, they both haven't lost a kit from their most recent litters.
The Angoras lose a few in each litter because they stomp on them...they're not the smartest breed and not the best mothers either.

This is a good link
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/Repro/Newborn/Newborn_mortality_en.pdf

Last edited:

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you, Miss @AmberLops! That was a fascinating article! I guess rabbits are susceptible to numerous causes of death prior to adulthood, and so they compensate by having numerous offspring. Regarding:

(not sure if you read that earlier on my journal)

I have read every word in your journal. Of course, that doesn't mean I will remember all of it -- after all, that is why I call myself Senile Texas Aggie! ;)

Senile Texas Aggie

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
You left out the moms peeing on the babies to hide their scent from predators, or just because they’re stupid. The kits get chilled and die.... or pneumonia from the ammonia fumes and die.... Makes ya want to put a diaper on the durned doe.
Oh yes...forgot that one...I thought it was only my rabbits that did that HA HA! :lol: