AmberLops Rabbitry Journal

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Would a large crab or fish net work to slide over the loose rabbits? If you're fast it helps with chickens. :D
Good idea! Not sure where i could get a net like that but I could try...still haven't caught all of them yet. I only saw 1 running around today so i'm assuming the other one got eaten :idunno

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Driving on the old back road to get hay today, I came across a cow in the middle of the road!
She somehow got through/over the fence. Her calf was in the field on the other side of the road watching her and she was just standing in the road with a mouthful of branches. On the way back, she was still there and the pasture has no house around so I called animal control. Hopefully they'll be able to contact the farmer and let them know they have a loose cow. It's a 1-lane road and if someone was speeding down that road and hit her, I don't think they'd have much of a chance :eek:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hope you catch your other Angora. A net is a good idea.

Cow in the road is never a good thing. Some cows just won't stay in a fence no matter what you do. I had a Longhorn bull that jumped the fence like a deer. I was always getting calls from the sheriff's department. I sure got sick and tired of that danged bull. He was always trying to run me down, so I got a 4' length of pipe, took a "batter up" position and just before he hit me I swung as hard as I could and hit him on the nose. That stopped him, then I commenced beating him with the pipe and he ran. This played our almost daily. It sure felt good to get rid of him.

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hope you catch your other Angora. A net is a good idea.

Cow in the road is never a good thing. Some cows just won't stay in a fence no matter what you do. I had a Longhorn bull that jumped the fence like a deer. I was always getting calls from the sheriff's department. I sure got sick and tired of that danged bull. He was always trying to run me down, so I got a 4' length of pipe, took a "batter up" position and just before he hit me I swung as hard as I could and hit him on the nose. That stopped him, then I commenced beating him with the pipe and he ran. This played our almost daily. It sure felt good to get rid of him.
Geez, those horns would scare me! I don't think i'd get close to a longhorn. There's a farm down the road that has about 20 horses and they have maybe twice that amount of longhorn cattle in the pasture with the horses...I always wondering if that actually works out but they don't seem to have a problem sharing the pasture :hu

And i never found the other angora...I think it's officially gone.

Last edited:

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
I SAW A LIVE ARMADILLO FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER TONIGHT!!!
Got home about an hour ago and when I walked up the porch steps something jumped off the porch and ran past me. I went inside to grab a flashlight and it was an armadillo standing in the front yard! It sure was adorable...I've been wanting to see one since I moved here. They're all over the side of the roads out here but I've never seen a live one. It stood on it's back legs and looked right at me then scooted away. I know they're a pest and they carry disease but you gotta admit...they pretty darn cute :p

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Today was a beautiful day...78 degrees and breezy. Took another hike through the mountains...sorry no pictures, forgot the camera! Then the day called for a long drive down old back roads with the windows down. So beautiful out here. I found some great shortcuts to towns that usually take a while to get to...and some roads that led to nowhere!
Tonight is supposed to be a big storm with wind gusts up to 60mph, heavy rain and possible tornadoes. Right now the sky is clear so i'm hoping it stays that way. Tomorrow is thunderstorms and rain. Nothing too bad. I know this storm is hitting a lot of states...everyone stay safe :frow

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I used to chase armadillos when I was a kid. They are FAST! it was great fun. I have shot, shucked and BBQ'ed them too. They are good, but I wouldn't want to work that hard for a meal unless I was really hungry. It took both hands and feet to get them out of the shell. They are much more fun to observe and watch them being armadillos while they dig and root up your yard. LOL Glad you got to see a LIVE one and not road kill. The reason so many are killed on the roads, when they are startled, they jump straight up. Unfortunately, under a vehicle, that means getting hit by the undercarriage going 70 MPH.

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
I used to chase armadillos when I was a kid. They are FAST! it was great fun. I have shot, shucked and BBQ'ed them too. They are good, but I wouldn't want to work that hard for a meal unless I was really hungry. It took both hands and feet to get them out of the shell. They are much more fun to observe and watch them being armadillos while they dig and root up your yard. LOL Glad you got to see a LIVE one and not road kill. The reason so many are killed on the roads, when they are startled, they jump straight up. Unfortunately, under a vehicle, that means getting hit by the undercarriage going 70 MPH.
What do they taste like? They don't seem like food :confused: