AmberLops Rabbitry Journal

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
What breed of horse? Tennessee Walkers are my favorite.
Hmmm...i'd be between an Arabian, QH or Tennessee Walker. Lots of TW's around here! I think I've seen 10 breeders within 50 miles.
When I did showjumping I fell in love with the Warmbloods...they're just a whole lotta horse!
Not sure if I could handle one right now. Might start with an Arab and slowly (or quickly?) add the others into the mix ;)

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Woke up this morning and went to feed the rabbits...my Holland doe, Betty Sue, had her kits on the wire last night...2 days early. She was due on the 22nd or 23rd and she usually always has her kits a day late. I knew I should have put the box in last night but didn't listen to my gut. There were 6 kits, all ice cold but still alive. I took them in the house, warmed up the dryer, wrapped them up in a warm towel and left them in the dryer for 20 minutes.
Checked on them again and they were still cold...usually they warm right up.
So I warmed the dryer up again, put as many as I could in my bra but nothing was warming them up. I had to go to work so I wrapped them in the warm towel and put them in a box in my closet, which is the warmest part of the house. When i came home, 4 of the kits were dead. The other 2 were warm and seemed fine, so I went to put them in the nest box that I set up so they could get some milk from mama...and right when I was going to put them in the nest box, they both started seizing.
The seizures lasted about 2 minutes for each kit...during the seizures they were cold but once it stopped they were warm and fine again. So I took a chance and put them in Betty's cage in the nestbox. I'm not counting on them making it through the night. :(
So strange though...I've never seen or heard of a newborn kit having seizures and it makes me wonder if something was really wrong with this litter.
I always look forward to Betty's kits, she has the biggest litters and they usually all make it so this was a shock :hit:(

Latest posts