An Introduction to Buffaloes

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I read articles that India developed a killed virus vaccine, have you heard any thing about it? I’d take a killed virus vaccine, but I’m not about to take this RNA vaccine experimental vaccine.
And I am the opposite :D

The mRNA "technique" has apparently been in development for some years so not really "experimental". That is why they were able to come up with a Covid version fairly quickly.

And the mRNA Covid vaccines are significantly more protective against getting a case or getting only a non symptomatic case than the J&J "traditional technique" vaccine. Both types are supposed to be equally effective at keeping you out of the hospital or morgue. But "66% effective against getting a moderate or severe case" doesn't sound all that good compared to the mRNA based vaccines. Sounds to me like you are going to get sick with the J&J "protection" just not AS sick.

River Buffaloes

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Currently in New Delhi, India, originally Bihar
Why don’t you join us for coffee? Or tea, as the case may be. LOL

Aah I was asleep. I will surely look into it.

River Buffaloes

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I couldn't believe it....saw a buffalo of some variety, can't remember now what it was(not a bison, as would be more typical)for sale in my state the other day! Told my son we should buy it but he was not enthusiastic. Made me think of you!
When did you see those buffaloes for sale? And where? Where they swamp or River buffaloes?

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
And I am the opposite :D

The mRNA "technique" has apparently been in development for some years so not really "experimental". That is why they were able to come up with a Covid version fairly quickly.

And the mRNA Covid vaccines are significantly more protective against getting a case or getting only a non symptomatic case than the J&J "traditional technique" vaccine. Both types are supposed to be equally effective at keeping you out of the hospital or morgue. But "66% effective against getting a moderate or severe case" doesn't sound all that good compared to the mRNA based vaccines. Sounds to me like you are going to get sick with the J&J "protection" just not AS sick.
I got the J&J but that was just because it was the first one offered to me and the company I work for was not taking (and still are to a degree) the pandemic seriously. Then we had over 50 cases in a month and that's what it took for them to decide wearing masks might be a good idea, so I wanted a vaccine and didn't really care which one as anything is better than nothing.

River Buffaloes

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I got the J&J but that was just because it was the first one offered to me and the company I work for was not taking (and still are to a degree) the pandemic seriously. Then we had over 50 cases in a month and that's what it took for them to decide wearing masks might be a good idea, so I wanted a vaccine and didn't really care which one as anything is better than nothing.

Better late than sorry.

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Better late than sorry.
Unless you wait to get the one you want and get sick before you get a chance to get it... Working with 500+ people every day in a building that does not require masks (luckily they are now) or social distancing and a boss that comes over and touches you randomly (she ended up catching covid exposing me) you are at a pretty bad risk of getting sick.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep, in your case I would take whatever came first. I had to wait until they got to my age group which happened 3 days before my birthday. But I was lucky and got an appointment 2 days after my birthday. J&J had been approved by then but I don't think VT had gotten any yet. We've had Moderna and Pfizer all year. They started with medical people, those in care homes then worked down in 5 year age bands starting at 85 IIRC.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you and your family have masks or are those unobtainable due to shortages. Do you or your family leave the house for work or shopping or have y’all selected one or two to work and shop to lessen exposure? For me and my husband, he stayed in the car while I ran in the store to get what we needed. We have our go to town bag with wipes and sanitizer.