Anemic doe

terrilhb

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Have you tried alfalfa lately? She might decide it's the best thing in the world now that she is in such dire need. Just as a comparison - 2 cups of feed is not as much as I would feed a weanling pygmy baby. It's just not much feed and she needs the nourishment to heal. Agree with AClark on weighing feed.
No I have not tried lately. But will if it will help. The reason I was feeding 2 cups now is because back when she was healthy she was fat. I did not want to feed her to much and hurt her worse. Right now she is around 100 pounds. Which for her is skinny. For some reason this last pregnancy took everything out of her. She was just fine before and during her pregnancy. Then bam down. She is only 7. But I will not breed her again. I do not to risk her health.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
The calf manna is good stuff, just be sure to feed what it suggest and not more. I had a very sick goat that got into the feed when I wasn't looking, she was eating out of the bag for about 10 minutes and that was enough to really make her sick; I almost lost her.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
No doubt your doe had something detrimental going on with her. And, like you said, pregnancy and lactation took her down and perhaps it was parasites that dealt the biggest blow. You and your vet went the extra mile and that's very likely why she is still with you. However, now it might be time to look at the simple solution.

I used to make rounds with a mobile vet. I couldn't tell you the number of times over the years that we went out to assess a 'skinny' animal. Many times it was bad teeth, many times it was parasites, but just as many times - it was inadequate intake or a feed that didn't meet the animal needs.

No animal whose health is compromised can heal without adequate nutritional support. I hope it turns out to be that simple for your gal!

terrilhb

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
No doubt your doe had something detrimental going on with her. And, like you said, pregnancy and lactation took her down and perhaps it was parasites that dealt the biggest blow. You and your vet went the extra mile and that's very likely why she is still with you. However, now it might be time to look at the simple solution.

I used to make rounds with a mobile vet. I couldn't tell you the number of times over the years that we went out to assess a 'skinny' animal. Many times it was bad teeth, many times it was parasites, but just as many times - it was inadequate intake or a feed that didn't meet the animal needs.

No animal whose health is compromised can heal without adequate nutritional support. I hope it turns out to be that simple for your gal!
Her teeth are just fine. No issues with them.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
As you have been doing - critically observe!

I am with all the others and would also increase feed. Going slowly is important as you know. Feeding 2-3x a day spread out in small amounts... the lb should increase
BUT
if she is refusing then it is something else.

Ruby refused alfalfa or any rich hay. Grass hay she slowly began to eat. Before than NO hay either just grass, not even leaves off the tree. Ruby lost her appetite completely whereas your girl hasn't which is great.
Ruby would touch NO food.
The fact that Sara has some drive to eat is great.

The 23 eggs wouldn't normally be a big deal. @Goat Whisperer talked about this earlier. One one hand because of her condition it is actually somewhat significant... on the hand she is already battling.

Reading through it so evident that many are touched by and pulling for Sara and you. :hugs

Girlies' Mum

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I really do hope little Ruby can get better, she is such a sweetie. You have so many experts to help you too (not me, as I said before, I'm sheeple).

But I did have a much loved sheep with similar anaemia and debility etc, as I described before. My wee Bramble went through all kinds of tests at the University Vet School Farm Hospital which happily wasn't too far away. Have you specifically excluded or treated for (as an "in case" type of scenario), liver fluke, coccidiosis and mycoplasma?

I know nutrition is vital to get right and there are many experts here on the case for that with you, so I just wonder if she has actually got any infection which is stopping her getting better?

Might be worth asking the vet if they have excluded these sufficiently? I was told fecal samples can be unreliable in cocci (in sheep anyway) so it might be worth giving a coccidiostat, but flukes should be seen at this time of year, I believe, on stool samples. Mycoplasma may be easier treated with an appropriate antibiotic such as oxytetracycline or enrofloxacin rather than confirming it first on a blood test (and cheaper - check with the vet). There are probably (of course) many other infections that I am not aware of as well that it could be. Anaplasmosis someone mentioned - I know nothing about this as we don't get it in the UK, but maybe someone can advise on diagnosis and treatment (either here or hopefully a vet!). I am fairly sure that a fecal and a normal blood panel (other than anaemia, which means something is wrong) is not going to exclude all infections and "medical" causes. Also are you sure she hasn't been poisoned - for example brassica family vegetables/plants can cause anaemia too.

I'm not a vet - just speaking from a long and stressful sheep experience. I really feel for you, it is so hard when you feel so helpless.

terrilhb

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
This is the first day I have seen Sara's tail this high in I can not remember how long. I am hoping this is a good sign. Her tail has been tucked lately. Praying this is a good sign.

Attachments

• Sara appearing to feel better.jpg
    Sara appearing to feel better.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 271

terrilhb

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I really do hope little Ruby can get better, she is such a sweetie. You have so many experts to help you too (not me, as I said before, I'm sheeple).

But I did have a much loved sheep with similar anaemia and debility etc, as I described before. My wee Bramble went through all kinds of tests at the University Vet School Farm Hospital which happily wasn't too far away. Have you specifically excluded or treated for (as an "in case" type of scenario), liver fluke, coccidiosis and mycoplasma?

I know nutrition is vital to get right and there are many experts here on the case for that with you, so I just wonder if she has actually got any infection which is stopping her getting better?

Might be worth asking the vet if they have excluded these sufficiently? I was told fecal samples can be unreliable in cocci (in sheep anyway) so it might be worth giving a coccidiostat, but flukes should be seen at this time of year, I believe, on stool samples. Mycoplasma may be easier treated with an appropriate antibiotic such as oxytetracycline or enrofloxacin rather than confirming it first on a blood test (and cheaper - check with the vet). There are probably (of course) many other infections that I am not aware of as well that it could be. Anaplasmosis someone mentioned - I know nothing about this as we don't get it in the UK, but maybe someone can advise on diagnosis and treatment (either here or hopefully a vet!). I am fairly sure that a fecal and a normal blood panel (other than anaemia, which means something is wrong) is not going to exclude all infections and "medical" causes. Also are you sure she hasn't been poisoned - for example brassica family vegetables/plants can cause anaemia too.

I'm not a vet - just speaking from a long and stressful sheep experience. I really feel for you, it is so hard when you feel so helpless.
Thank you for your kind words. Her vet checked for infection. There was none. She was all most positive it was anemic. Did another fecal on her on Friday. It was 23. Which I was told was really good.