Anemic doe

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have you had a blood panel done?

I know some vets can be very expensive others not... so no judgement just asking.

I really really do understand - Her eyes look bright still and coat shiny. Hang in there!

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I went back and re-read this thread. I know you've done so much for this doe - but it seems to me that 2 cups of feed and a tiny bit of beet pulp is not enough food for an underweight goat, especially in cold weather. I know she's got hay, but I would certainly try to get her to eat more concentrate. I would stick with smaller amounts at first, but increase the frequency. She sure needs the groceries!

Good luck with her and hope she can come around for you.

terrilhb

True BYH Addict
Reaction score

I know some vets can be very expensive others not... so no judgement just asking.

I really really do understand - Her eyes look bright still and coat shiny. Hang in there!
The vet did a blood panel. She said all she found was her being anemic. Her fecal today showed 23 worms. My friend said that is low and not to worm her again. I will call the vet again if needed. Another friend said to get calf manna pro and a protein bucket for her.

terrilhb

True BYH Addict
Reaction score

I check her eyelids everyday. They are getting pinker every day. I just hope I am doing all I am supposed to do. Thank you again Southern.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I went back and re-read this thread. I know you've done so much for this doe - but it seems to me that 2 cups of feed and a tiny bit of beet pulp is not enough food for an underweight goat, especially in cold weather. I know she's got hay, but I would certainly try to get her to eat more concentrate. I would stick with smaller amounts at first, but increase the frequency. She sure needs the groceries!

Good luck with her and hope she can come around for you.
Agree! I was just doing the same thing.
If she is eating without an issue you need to slowly increase.

You don't want to throw her off but can you start feeding high quality alfalfa/orchard mix hay? Start with a little at a time.
I wouldn’t overdo the alfalfa, just a small amount at a time until she adjusts.

You should talk to your vet. For me, I'd be inclined to deworm again, because she is so compromised, anemic, and weak.
For a healthy goat it might not affect them, but I think a goat in her state doesn't need anything else slowing her progress.
But there are risks with this, which is why talking to your vet is very important. If you do, I would not use a “harsh” dewormer.

When was she last de-wormed? With what? I know you posted but I haven't gotten that far yet.

AClark

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I wouldn't give up on her yet personally.
I know I'm a broken record with this, but weigh your feed, don't go by volume. My scoop holds 6 cups of the pellets I feed. It weighs 4 lbs. If I only fed 2 cups, I wouldn't be feeding enough.
I hope this is appropriate, but there's a spreadsheet on the OSU page that helps with feeding by weight. It's designed for meat goats, but it's a good reference: http://agecon.okstate.edu/meatgoat/
Click on the OSU Goat Ration Spreadsheet and it will download an excel sheet. You can input your feed into the second sheet to add it if nothing is appropriate - though to get TDN and DM you need to send in feed samples to your local agriculture extension for testing as it's not on the bag. I've added in the info from mine minus the TDN and DM and it still works though and gives you a close idea on what to feed - though since I'm obviously local my feeds are listed. Just a tool I think might be helpful.

In my experience, it takes a lot longer to put weight on than it does for it to come off when animals are ill.

terrilhb

True BYH Addict
Reaction score

You don't want to throw her off but can you start feeding high quality alfalfa? Start with a little at a time.
You should talk to your vet. For me, I'd be inclined to deworm again, because she is so compromised, anemic, and weak.
For a healthy goat it might not affect them, but I think a goat in her state doesn't need anything else slowing her progress.

When was she last de-wormed? With what? I know you posted but I haven't gotten that far yet.
She was wormed again in December with Prohibit

terrilhb

True BYH Addict
Reaction score

You don't want to throw her off but can you start feeding high quality alfalfa/orchard mix hay? Start with a little at a time.
I wouldn’t overdo the alfalfa, just a small amount at a time until she adjusts.

But there are risks with this, which is why talking to your vet is very important. If you do, I would not use a “harsh” dewormer.

This will sound really strange my goats refuse to touch Alfalfa hay. They flat out refuse to eat it. I know strange. We have bought it a few times and they stick their noses up at it.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have you tried alfalfa lately? She might decide it's the best thing in the world now that she is in such dire need. Just as a comparison - 2 cups of feed is not as much as I would feed a weanling pygmy baby. It's just not much feed and she needs the nourishment to heal. Agree with AClark on weighing feed.