1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hay for young goats - Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Contest Time!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

4. BYC Other Poultry Calendar for sale!!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Anemic doe

Discussion in 'Emergencies, Injuries, Diseases, and Cures' started by terrilhb, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Jan 11, 2018 at 10:42 PM
    OneFineAcre

OneFineAcre Herd Master

You spent way more time putting this together than you needed too,
    I read the first paragraph.
    I just past along something that I had heard from someone with some real knowledge, not internet based knowledge.
    If you don't agree with that, then that's fine.
    I could have misunderstood her
    But, you really need to think about why you needed to spend this much time disputing what I said.
    You really do

2. Jan 11, 2018 at 11:00 PM
    OneFineAcre

OneFineAcre Herd Master

It reminds me of something actually
    A few years ago there was a thread just like this one
    The OP was going to take their goat to the Vet and someone told them that after they took the goat to the vet they should let them know what the vet said to make sure it was really OK
    The OP didn't know the advice was coming from a teenaged boy

3. Jan 12, 2018 at 12:22 AM
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master

Actually, I was sharing that I was wrong and was giving added info to what you had provided. :th
    If it benefits the community what is wrong with that?

Learning is asking questions.
    I know, that "real knowledge" when never questioned can have serious consequences.
    Some people ask, some people follow, some people challenge, some explore...

4. Jan 12, 2018 at 12:44 AM
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

@Southern by choice So I read through that stuff from the book, quickly. Does it ever say what the "killing outside temperature" is and for how long that temp has to be maintained to kill them?

5. Jan 12, 2018 at 12:51 AM
    Southern by choice

No. I looked in several other books as well.
    It appears that it really isn't a killing stage but just a dormancy. I don't know. :hu

6. Jan 12, 2018 at 1:09 AM
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

So if your pastures have a high load before winter they will have high load in the Spring, too bad it doesn't kill them. Dry summers have their benefits but I am going to get a fecal done on the goat that has the lousy coat, but I don't expect to find anything more than tape.

7. Jan 13, 2018 at 2:53 PM
    appaloosa 239

appaloosa 239 Loving the herd life

Have you considered top dressing the doe's feed with a quarter cup apple cider vinegar? ACV is very beneficial to humans, horses and goats. A very good source of ready potassium which may be what your doe is lacking. I choose Bragg's ACV because it is non GMO and organic. Hope this helps. You may also try a tablespoon of dolomite that you can purchase from a health food store. Start with a tablespoon and decrease to half after around 7 days. Dolomite is the perfect ratio of calcium and magnesium.

8. Jan 15, 2018 at 5:45 PM
    terrilhb

terrilhb Loving the herd life

Update on my girl Sara. Sorry not sooner. Flu stuff going on. She seems to be on them mend. I am blanketing her in the evening because here in Ga the last few nights have been in the 20's and she has been shivering. She has a barn with hay to sleep in. But still shivers some because of her being thin. She is much more alert and vocal. I thank you all for your help. Southern by choice thank you so much. I will keep you all updated. This group rocks. And I can not tell you all how much all of your help has meant to me. I love this girl so much. Here is a picture of her. The blanket is a little small but is working. The top is her with her blanket and the bottom is her without it. Neither shows really well how thin she is. Thank you all again. sara with blanket.jpg Sara.jpg

9. Jan 15, 2018 at 6:00 PM
    Southern by choice

:love:love:love

Thank you, thank you thank you.

Everyday I have checked and was worried when I had not seen you post. :hide
    I wanted to message but honestly I was a bit afraid.

Goodness, I have tears! This one was so close to home. Sara has a special place with me for sure.
    Dang goats, grab your heart and can even the strongest person to just mush! :D

oops, almost let that go by... sorry you all are dealing with the flu stuff. Lots of respiratory in our region too but not the flu, just a nasty bug going round.

terrilhb likes this.
  10. Jan 16, 2018 at 1:38 AM
    kuwaiti-90

kuwaiti-90 Loving the herd life

@terrilhb :frow

you are welcome ,,

We do not need to thank you. This is a duty for us. We help you, we are your friends in this site, and we help everyone who needs help from me or from the existing members, and every time we are also possible we need help from you and some good members like you ..

I hope it is in the best cases and good health:frow.

terrilhb likes this.