Anemic doe

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wonder about some alfalfa pellets too. That would give her some extra protein for energy throughout the day since she is being held off molasses (makes sense to me why.)

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wonder about some alfalfa pellets too. That would give her some extra protein for energy throughout the day since she is being held off molasses (makes sense to me why.)

I'm not sure if my Ruby and @terrilhb 's Sara are suffering from the same illness, but when we went through this with Ruby she would refuse anything too high in protein or calcium... she only wanted grass. Literally grass. It was rainy here and so the grass had lots of moisture but not much nutritional content. She occasionally would accept some leaves. She didn't even want the lespedeza that grows wild here. Grass. When she finally stared eating it was grass hay- she wouldn't touch alfalfa pellets, alfalfa hay, grain- nothing. We gave her "crappy" hay and that is what she ate. She eventually worked up to orchard hay. After awhile she started eat her dairy goat pellets a bit. We did a lot of redcell then backed off to 3x week then less. Lots of probios too.

I wonder if Sara would eat the pellets. :idunno
We spent a fortune trying to bring in everything under the sun to get Ruby to eat.

@terrilhb if I can find a pic of her at her worst I'll send it to you. Her eyes were sunk into her head. She was walking death.

Girlies' Mum

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
No ticks, lice nor anything.
Hi, I lost my beloved pet sheep Bramble, aged 4 and a half to mycoplasma haemovis in September. She was always small, and had a relapsing anaemia for over a year. The mycoplasma causes the red cells to self destruct. You can sometimes see red /dark urine as breakdown products, not always. Although it is called haemovis, I have just looked and it occurs in goats too. They (sheep anyway) sometimes make a full recovery on their own and develop resistance if they are looked after in a stress free environment, and usually recover completely with antibiotics (but may relapse). Usual antibiotics are tetracyclines or fluroquinolones such as enrofloxacin. It is not commonly seen and wee Bramble ended up in the farm hospital at the University of Edinburgh Vet School where they diagnosed it. Blood test looking specifically for mycoplasma antibodies is needed. A blood smear (film) test may help, it shows a regenerative anaemia sometimes with funny little "bits" attached the red cells. I would check with your vet about this possibility. It is not common as far as I can see, reading the literature, and caused quite a lot of excitement at the vet school. I suspect it may be commoner than is realised but under diagnosed - "sheep die" . Sadly she died with some intestinal problem and bleeding complicating it eventually. Might be worth testing for it or at least doing a blood smear (film) for microscopy while anaemic. I would hate it to be missed in somebody else's sheep or goat, if I knew about it.

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Random thought. I had 2 rabbits have similar problems of refusing feed, loosing weight..I was using water bottles and did not realize these 2 were not drinking a lot. (Stupid me let it go on for several months) I simply changed both to bowls and both are now cleaning up their pellets. It most likely is something else but so important for any livestock to have good fresh water available. Here in the Midwest winter can be very hard to keep up.

terrilhb

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
How long was she on redcell?
How often? alot at first then less frequency? Like everyday then every 3 days then 1x week- (just as an example)

I would be very hesitant in adding the CMPK unless your vet says so.
Right now she is doing better so I would be cautious to add and change much.
We do use beet pulp.
Injections when they are thin and down are just too much for them, I'm with you- if you can do it without injection that is good.

I would recommend probiotics- just straight probios. We like the powder mixed with a bit of water and drenched. If you wet the beet pulp you could sprinkle on top I imagine or maybe on the sweet feed.
She was on 6cc's once a day for 3 days. I started it on the 6th of Jan and quit it on the 8th. I was afraid of overdosing her.

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have a 7 year old doe. She kidded in May of 2017. She was in perfect condition before birthing. After birthing she was good. Around the end of October she started going down hill. Weight wise. Had our vet come out and check her. She checked her from head to toe. Did blood work and a fecal. A little worms so she wormed her. Blood work came back and she was anemic. Fed her what the vet recommended. 2 cups in the evening and 1\2 cup in the morning. She seemed to be doing better. But is now going down hill again. Her symptoms then and know if important is if someone bumps her she falls over and can not get back up until I help her. I have started giving her because of the cold here warm water all day with molasses in it. Vitamin B Complex Plus shot 1 time a day and 6cc's of Red Cell. She is down to 100 pounds. Also adding shredded beet pulp to her feed. She always has fresh water and hay. Her temp is good and she is eating and chewing her cud. Anyone have any suggestions on what else I can do to help her? Thank you.

Have you treated for Anaplasmosis?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
She was on 6cc's once a day for 3 days. I started it on the 6th of Jan and quit it on the 8th. I was afraid of overdosing her.

We did the same and then backed off... went to a slower schedule.
I will ask GW for her notes.

GW said she did 5 days straight 10-12cc... then backed it down to 6cc every 3rd day... then reduced again 1x week.
At the point where she was we had nothing to lose. She was going to die. :( Our vet also was out of ideas.
But we believe it did save her life. Probios every day.
She was 160 lbs- kidded great no issues looked fantastic... we were also co parenting so she was not dragged down by nursing... it was a very stressful ordeal. She lost 60 lbs.!!!
One she transitioned back to eating hay and increased appetite... she gained back 30 lbs in one month.
Oct his year she even went to State Fair. Her udder bounced back... she looked beautiful. 2nd place udder in her aged doe class. :)
She's 8 this year!

It seems like after you did those several days she did have some recovery! Keep up with your vet, let them know all you do and the progression. Glad you have a vet. Some are not so fortunate.
Our vet is a real blessing, wonderful to work with and bounce ideas back and forth.

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Anaplasmosis causes anemia. It often gives signs like worms or coccidia early. It is easy to treat, but a killer through anemia if not treated before the tilting point is reached.