Animals to acreage question

Lereg

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
https://extension.tennessee.edu/pages/office-locations.aspx

Try that, hope the link works. I'm on my cell phone so no promises!
I plan to go to the other side of the state, but would imagine that I could get something similar in Memphis or Nashville.

Btw, theres a decent place in Rogersville you may like! Don't remember the address though, as I have search through so many lately.

You (most places) don't actually have to make a profit to get/keep the ag exemption--just show that it is feasible on your place to produce an ag product. I've never had the county appraisal district come out and ask to look at my books. If they did, my sisters would both be in deep do-do because neither has ever made a dime over the 10 years they've had their properties on ag--nor have they tried to.
Another thing to consider is the IRS. You have to prove to the IRS that you intend to make a profit then show a profit in a set period of years if you want to take a deduction on your farming endeavers. The US Senate and the House of Representatives sets the rules , the IRS applies them to see if you are a business for profit and qualify to deduct your operating expenses or are a hobby farm and do not qualify. I would recomend that you find a CPA that specializes in farming to help you put more money in your pocket.[/QUOTE]

Another thing I didn't think of!!! Thanks!

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you buy an existing farm, it is better, not to let the ag exemption lapse, between new owner and previous owner, especially if the property has been on ag for a long time. Apply for it as soon as title is filed at the county courthouse or annex. Counties will always look for any reason to decline the 'exemption' even tho the state's legislature wants more farmland to be created. Ag exemptions are tax $$ the county thinks rightfully belongs to them and the appraisal districts work for the county, not the state.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think that link gives you the whole state and you can look at region or county.

I'll have to look at where Rogersville is! I don't know the state all that well (yet!) I've been searching a lot lately too and it's all swimming around in my head somewhere haha

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lereg, as you can see, there is NEVER a lack of knowledge & sharing here.

Some is just personal experience (from many who are truly making a living farmers!) & some true schooled knowledge. ALL valuable. I do hobby farming now but, when I kept may mini horse farm I did go the route of a corporation & all the tax filing that was required. It went well, I had profit from year 3 and forward until it was closed out. Now, I don't want or need the hassle -- enjoy the animals, try to make enough to cover most feed expense. It's all good. Mill it around in your head and go from there. Regardless of the level you operate when you move, the info will be most helpful!!

Farm work is hard but such a pleasure to watch the results. A house, backyard chickens & a few tomato plants can work!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Just to reiterate what GB & others said... for your own health/financial benefit, CHECK what the AG exemption and homestead/any other available requirements are BEFORE you put a contract on property! This can't be stressed enough. TN has no state income tax (same here in TX). They (govts) have to generate income some way/some how to be able to function. TN has very high sales tax (state w/local added to it), but they can't "control" that income... They can't force you to buy stuff in order to generate that income (Though our illustrious fed managed to do that w/health care :somad). As a result, the only real secure source of income for cities/counties to operate is real estate taxes and property taxes. They set the tax value and tax rate of the properties and therefore have guaranteed income they can depend on. Here in my county in TX the AG exemption is different than GB's county. Here it's 5 or more acres, but it has to be under AG for 5 continuous years before the exemption can be claimed. The property I bought met this requirement. Therefore I am (was/did) immediately able to claim the AG exemption on all but 1 acre of the 19 I bought. The 1 acre is designated as residential for the home I live in. The difference in property taxes is HUGE! With the AG I anticipate my property tax will be ~$1,500/yr vs over $3,000. I won't know for sure till July/Aug when the new bill comes, but that tax savings is big for a retired person on a fixed income.

As to your original question, I believe it's been well addressed. No two properties are alike. You could look at 2 - 20 acre parcels right beside each other and one will easily handle 5 "cows" plus everything else you wish to maintain while the parcel right next to it wouldn't be able to support half that number. There's so much that goes into that determination. Among other things, ask the seller what they've been able to maintain on the property and over what period of time. You'll see going through threads here that many who live near to Amish farms talk about how they over-stock their properties and basically burn them out. There are others who don't. I have about 9 acres of mixed pasture, 9 acres heavily wooded and basically unavailable to me for use right now due to accessibility issues, and the one acre I live on. I have 1/2 the 18 acres on AG exemption for animals and the other 1/2 for forestry. Of the 9 acres of pasture, only 1/3 - 1/2 is really decent quality. It's all in need of weed control, fertilization and time to recover. Since I'm primarily interested in starting with goats, sheep and hogs, they will do much better on what I've got than beef would. I'll have some time to make the improvements needed before I try to put several steers on the property.

Wishing you success in finding just the right piece of property to achieve all your goals. IMHO I wouldn't go less than 10 acres... that was my starting point. I looked at a 40 acre parcel but the house (disaster) and land (distressed over years) was in need of more work/$$ than I could have possibly handled by myself so even though less than the property I ended up buying, price wise, I had to pass on it. I dream of owning a 1000+ acre ranch, but now understand I could not possibly "run" it myself and would have to pay others to do the work involved.

Lereg

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My actually thought on it was 20-30 acres, that I wanted, but most properties that I have found, there has been discrepancies in them. Whether no barns, coops, fencing, or the house is nasty. Anyway, I guess I could settle for 15 acres, but still not ready to. I want to supply for my livestock instead of having to buy it all. Yes there will be times when i need to, but I'd rather supply for myself, if possible.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here in my county in TX the AG exemption is different than GB's county. Here it's 5 or more acres, but it has to be under AG for 5 continuous years before the exemption can be claimed.
/\
It is for the above reason that I always advise people to file for the exemption as soon as closing is complete.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
In regards to the cows:

The typical animal unit is based on the small, 1000 lb cow as was mentioned. Most beef cows are not going to be 1000 pounds, but rather closer to 1400 pounds, some big gals up to 1800 pounds. The only cows you will get that will be close to that 1000 lb mark are with Dexters and Jerseys, and some of the little *larger* miniature cattle. Otherwise, if you're looking at a typical beef cow like Angus, expect a weight of around that 1400 pound mark.

A bigger cow will eat more feed, and need more pasture; if it's not space, it's amount of grass growing in that pasture, plus hay to feed when pasture runs a bit short.

And I will most certainly second (or third) Jan's remarks on all the things mentioned with cattle, especially with weaning age and time needed to raise a steer to slaughter. It's not short, not like raising a feeder lamb or a market pig. So you are better off with getting a couple of weaned beef calves, or one good docile beef cow and a feeder or stocker steer to raise for the freezer.

Lereg

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It almost seeming like I should just buy a slaughter cow every year and add more smaller livestock. S
It seems like the feeding and care would about even out to just getting one processed. Actually, I like pork and chicken better anyway, lol.

Lereg

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Last edited: