Any of you ordered from this company?

Foxtrotters19

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Well I just ordered from them, we'll see how it goes.

For the dogs I got Bug Off Garlic Chewables buy 2 jars of 180 get TWO FREE - for $48.00
For the horses I got Bug Off Garlic for Horses Buy two 10lbs tubs get one FREE - for $130.00
and then I got a choice of a free product - and I choose a 3lb tub of Hoof & Coat Formula - FREE

Total $178.00 free shipping!

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't know why anyone would make products for dogs with garlic in them when garlic is toxic to dogs.

Foxtrotters19

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I don't know why anyone would make products for dogs with garlic in them when garlic is toxic to dogs.

You might want to do some research about garlic -

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/nutrition/can-dogs-eat-garlic/

How much garlic is toxic to dogs?
Studies have found it takes approximately 15 to 30 grams of garlic per kilograms of body weight to produce harmful changes in a dog’s blood. To put that into perspective, the average clove of supermarket garlic weighs between 3 and 7 grams, so your dog would have to eat a lot to get really sick. However, some dogs are more sensitive to garlic toxicity than others, and consumption of a toxic dose spread out over a few days could also cause problems.

And the tab under studies on the website mentioned above:

Bug Off Garlic is Safe for Dogs
A Japanese study* proves that garlic toxicity is almost impossible to reach.
garlic_cloves.png
Dose
- 1/2 lb (equal to about 78 cloves) per 100 lbs body weight is the amount force-fed to study dogs each day for seven straight days. (3 1/2 lbs total equal to 546 raw cloves per 100 lbs bodyweight)

Result - Microscopic examination of subject dogs' blood showed oxidative damage to a small percentage of red blood cells. No dog was anemic. No dog was reported to show sickness, weakness, or other negative signs. Researchers guessed that continued feeding would eventually cause anemia.

*Lee, K.W., Yamato, O., Tajima, M., Kuraoka, M., Omae, S., Meade,Y. "Hematologic changes associated with the appearance of eccentrocytes after intragastric administration of garlic extracts to dogs."American Journal of Veterinary Research. November 2000. Vol. 61, No. 11, 1446-1450.

• Springtime, Inc. is not affiliated in any way, shape, or form with the researchers or publishers of this study.

Dennis-with_dog.png
Conclusion
- In my opinion, it is extremely unlikely that any dog would ever voluntarily eat the amount of raw garlic necessary to reach the minimum toxic dose. Most natural veterinarians who recommend feeding raw garlic stay well under 10% of that amount.

Bug Off Garlic air-dried powder is virtually impossible to overfeed. Raw garlic contains about eight times the amount of allicin (oxidative compound)** found in air-dried garlic powder. Increasing the dose eight times means you'd have to feed more than 4 lbs of Bug Off Garlic per 100 lbs of body weight per day. Normal usage is less than 1% of that amount. Bug Off Garlic is absolutely safe for everyday, year round use.

Dennis Hampt, Owner/President of Springtime since 1979.

**Pearson, Wendy. "Garlic (Allium Sativum) for Horses: In Vitro Antibacterial Activity and In Vivo Toxicity." Professor M.I. Lindinger. University of Guelph, 2003.

Toxicity is Dose Dependent
A central concept of toxicology is that effects are dose-dependent; even water can lead to water intoxication when taken in large enough doses, whereas for even a very toxic substance such as snake venom there is a dose below which there is no detectable toxic effect.

"Toxicity." Wikipedia.1 December 2009 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxicity

HomesteaderWife

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I've heard of garlic for the horses to help keep flies off during the Summer especially so yes definitely let us know how it goes. Have never heard of them myself

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
You obviously have done your research but the info below is also from the link you posted?

Can I feed my dog garlic supplements?
Despite garlic’s known toxicity, some websites and well-meaning dog owners recommend garlic supplements for dogs as part of a natural wellness plan or as a flea and tick preventative. This contradiction can be very confusing.

In studies, garlic as a health supplement for pets has not produced consistent positive results. While very small doses might be safe for most dogs, the lack of conclusive evidence and the known risks should be taken into consideration. If you do decide to feed your pup a garlic supplement, always consult your veterinarian. Giving an incorrect dose could have toxic effects, so plan on working with a veterinarian to come up with the best treatment and prevention plan for your dog.