Anybody spin?

RustyDHart

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
:DAnother Irish person....cool!!! My Grandmother (Carrie May McClure) was born on St. Patties Day too....but in 1903. I'm not sure of any Scotties in Ohio...BUT...there are a couple of flocks in Southern Michigan...not far from Ohio....that do have some....I'm about 5-6 hours North of the Ohio line.

Misssc

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I spin :D

I currently have three breeds of sheep. Olde English Babydolls, Jacobs, and Leicester Longwools. I also have angora goats and rabbits :D

If you want something small I'd go with the babydoll sheep. They are really cute. The downside is you don't get as much fleece and staple will be shorter.

Jacob sheep are pretty hardy and the spotted fleece makes them interesting to look at. I've really enjoyed spinning from this breed of sheep. they have clean legs and faces. The downside for them for me is the horns.

My most recent breed is the Leicester Longwools. I shear mine twice a year and I've been really happy with the fleece. They are a gentle breed.

pairadice

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
The big question is what do you want to do with the yarn once it is spun? I've had experience with the following myself:

finewools(CVM/Romeldale) soft, medium staple, good for next to skin items, Medium wools; (Corriedale, Jacob, Cheviot, Suffolk,) range from almost fine to almost coarse good for mittens, socks, weaving, sweaters. Coarse/Longwools(Romney, Lincoln, Scottish Blackface. Durable, Good for socks & weaving. Double coated (Icelandic, Shetland) Coarse outer coat and finer undercoat (tog & thel). If you separate the tog and thel you have the variety as above or can be spun without separating for a Lopi yarn. I think a beginner would be better off with a medium wool or longwool to start with as they are easier to spin. My personal choice for a beginner would be Corriedale or Romney. My favorite is a CVM-Romney cross, soft, easy to spin and durable. Hope this helps

dbunni

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
thank you for the great imput and breakdown... not sure if I am a beginner or not. Yes, beginner to sheep. But not to spinning. Started with the hardest ... English Angora! Was told if I could spin that the rest would be a walk in the park. Love the Angora ... we have English & Giant Rabbits, plus Angora goats. Got the soft down. But want to add another texture and animal to love. Do like the Scottish Blackface... looks & wool...along with a couple other breeds. I was raised weaving, so this may be great for the big & small looms. Might even talk "daddy" into pulling down the antique room loom for me that belonged to my grandfather (he was a US representative for Glimokra in Sweeden ... gotta love those looms!). Spring is here and the lambs are coming! Now to choose!