rachels.haven's Journal

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
We had a swayback mare that leveled out when she moved too but it didn't cure the sway back.

You have several does out of him you said which you can work with. I think you said you were not terribly excited about them even though they were better than him. If he were throwing better than himself he would be a keeper. With that topline and the steep rump, I would consider selling him unless he is an extremely milky buck or gives you something you lack. He is a young buck with two strikes against him in conformation that you won't want to breed into your line so . . . . However, it is your decision since I am not seeing him in person. I hate telling people to sell their animals other than for certain things since it can't be my call.
I've been on the fence about him for a while. He's also skittish unless I have a red bucket full of grain in my hands and refuses to get on the milk stand for hoof trimming (his feet are nice and self maintaining though, so he lives, no thanks to himself). I'll see if I can find someone who wants a backyard milker maker with a fancy pedigree in the next couple of weeks. Not every nice pedigree comes together nice.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
When DH was breeding rabbits and showing extensively an older breeder with fabuour rabbits passed away. His wife sold his entire barn to friends and DH bought several champion bucks and does. He had quite a few champions in his barn too and figured that combining the champions would give him a terrific herd. Unfortunately, the new champion bloodlines did not blend well with the ones DH already had developed. If he bred the new rabbits to each other, he got good stuff but the two lines did not cross well. After a year or so of trying different combinations to get good bunnies out of the combined bloodlines, he sold the new rabbits he had bought the previous year. People were thrilled to buy them, but for DH they did not go well with the bloodlines he had developed over 10 years. Sometimes there is a "nick", sometimes there isn't.

Someone will be happy to buy a buck out of good bloodlines with a good pedigree. He may do good things for them, and you won't have to transport him to Maryland.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
My county has no cicadas, but the ones around us do. We also get no Japanese beetles. The reason for this, according to the co-op, is the tobacco farmers treating heavily for them. I wonder if the two are related. (My mom's house 10 minutes away in Davidson county is a deafening mess with dead cicadas and everyone in counties around us are complaining.Confused but not envious. Ew.)

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our at home end of school year celebration is themed "Portal" because my kids and husband are fans and have beaten it several times and keep going back in for more to dissect the game in different ways. I'm baking a cake and this will be part of the soundtrack it's also often part of the "wakeup music" the kids play when marching off, so it's appropriate.

I like this other one better, but it's not cannon and as a result is not quite as dry and twisted.

This has been the hardest year yet. Almost done with their time in the Tennessee school system. And keeping it light with my nest full of what feels like the next generation of Disney supervillains and their small army of kittens.
:th

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I will admit I do not understand the whole thing... about Portal.... too out of touch with the world I guess...
What? Out of touch with a 15 year old morbid logic puzzle video game for programmers? Can't imagine it. Normally I can't stand hearing the game, but they like the idea of the cake! Personally I don't like video games where we pretend to be trapped in a research facility where they have tortured and killed people for experiments and you have to solve puzzles to build a teleportation gun and use it to beat the robot voice in the song or lose and die too but their dad slipped this one in. Some of us are really good at suspending disbelief and empathy and just really like those puzzles. And the kids enjoy beating it over and over...I guess they found it relatable?

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I didn't get trapped in the portal cake world for long. I did this today.
Wild cherry trees!

cherry tree.jpg

cherries.jpg

I don't remember if I shared about the turtle being attacked by ants that had taken my bucks' stall this week. I saved the bucks and took it to my mom's creek.
scary monster.jpg

turtle.jpg

Dan got "proficient" on his tests, so by some miracle no more worries!