Anyone else notice any of their goats wasting away? Pics Added

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
In the March 2012 CAHFS connection they said that titers 1:128 could be seen in both negative and positive animals. I have not had a test done by CAHFS (UC DAVIS) since then with any results other than 1:8 so I do not know how they would report 1:16 titers.

http://www.cahfs.ucdavis.edu/local-...S_Connection_Small_Ruminant_edition_final.pdf

One of my goats had their titers go from 1:32 to 1:16. The other stayed at 1:16. That was 1 year apart and I have not tested them since. That was about 5 years ago. All the rest of my goats have tested 1:8.

I have friends that vaccinate does for CL as they are trying it eradicate it from the Boer herd without losing all the genetics. None of their offspring test positive so far.

Last edited:

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here is an explanation of a titer. It has to do with how much they have to dilute the sample before no antibodies are detectable.

"A titer is a way of expressing concentration. Titer testing employs serial dilution to obtain approximate quantitative information from an analytical procedure that inherently only evaluates as positive or negative. The titer corresponds to the highest dilution factor that still yields a positive reading."

"Titers are usually expressed as ratios such as 1:256, meaning that one part serum (blood) to 256 parts saline solution (dilutant) results in no antibodies remaining detectable in the sample. A titer of 1:8 is, therefore, an indication of lower numbers of CL antibodies than a 1:256 titer."

With the 1:8 titer they only had to add 8 parts of dilutant whereas the 1:256 was 256 parts of dilutant.

Basically a titer will tell you if your goat has ever been exposed to the disease in question.

UC Davis used to say the 1:8 was negative for CL, now they say that it can be as high as 1:128. I have two goats that are 1:16 and 1:32, neither have had an abscess in the 8 years I have owned them. The rest of my herd test 1:8.

I personally don't test every year as my goats never leave my farm. I test new animals and I know where my animals come from. In 8 years of raising goats I have only bought 3 from people that I didn't know. I always ask for the test results in writing. Probably 85% of my herd is from my own foundation stock and there was never livestock on my land prior to us buying it and building a house so I don't worry too much about testing for CAE or CL anymore. I have just recently started testing for Johne's and since it is usually transmitted by colostrum I have only tested my older dams so far. If they are clean then the offspring born here really isn't at risk.

Thank you much forthe explanation Babs!!

I hope you can find out what's going on with your goats.

I just wanted to say WOW, so sorry you don't have any real good choice for a goat vet near you. $95 for a fecal test? And after all those fees for bloodwork - another $30 just to give you the results?? I'm sorry but those fees are just outrageous IMHO, I wouldn't want to go there either.

You can get fecals done through the mail, there is a company that does them for $5, there's a thread on here somewhere about them. It's not McMasters method, but it's better than nothing if you aren't doing your own yet (which is a great suggestion). Good for you for drawing the blood yourselves and getting some testing done.

Thank you!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
You can do an Ebay search for blood tubes and find plenty. Also you can order them online from suppliers. There may be local suppliers near you.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I want to clarify something I said in my post from earlier...
Many who do not test for CL already have CL in their herd that is why they don't test and also why they do not advocate for testing.

A friend texted and mentioned that it was like I was implying herds that do not test are all positive... :eek::ep:hit

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It really isn't what I mean at all.

Many,meaning just that, NOT ALL... we know many people especially in the meat goat world that do have CL... they know it so it doesn't make sense for them to test it is not something that is as big a deal as it may be to dairy herds.

Out of the dairy people I now that have had CL either they culled or they accepted the fact of having CL and don't test because they already know they have it. They do not see the need to spend $ on titer #'s.

There are many herds that do not test for CL because of the test issues, or their vet said not to, or they don't want the expense or they don't feel it is necessary because they never had a lump.

We also know many GREAT BREEDERS that have been breeding for 20-30 years or so and they have never tested for CL... doesn't make them less of a breeder or wrong... they also have never had a lump.

When a herd is having issues such as the original poster it is more a matter of using testing as a diagnostic... no testing is perfect... but best to start somewhere.

We use testing as a management tool. If suddenly I had a goat test "positive" for CL depending on those numbers... and I kept the goat then I could be more watchful. Bucks especially... in winter with huge necks from rut and big hairy manes you may not even detect a lump (most lumps are on neck) and with them being in rut and pee pee covered LOL they aren't "loved" on as much. A lump could burst before one ever knew it was there.

Eventually we will go to probably every 2-3 years for CL testing and just do CAE & Johnes annually.

So again to clarify ... just because someone doesn't test for CL it doesn't mean they have it... same for all testing really.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not much on ebay i can get glass tubes with clot in them...which i know i dont want...plastic tubs with serum seperator....or 5ml plastic red top vacu tubs...

So here is my question how do i get 6ml of blood in a 5ml tube esp when the lab says dont fill more then half way full lol.

Seriously though i hope i found the right one. Red top with black ring 9ml hemo top vacu tubes.....but it says with sillica coating to activate clotting...:he

Can i use these? Here is a link.
https://www.pulmolab.com/product_in...PWGHb1Jje5T1N9e6Xl6iotxWg3GS6UcFbgaAncv8P8HAQ

sadieml

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I don't know about the right tubes to use (I am just about to begin testing myself), but I would say if they need 6ml of blood I would fill 2 5ml tubes to the 3ml mark (is there a mark?). I don't know anything, yet, really. Just MHO...:hide