Anyone else notice any of their goats wasting away? Pics Added

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
So it has been about a week and Ella is looking marginally better. The herd has been allowed outside as much as they want in the daytime except the last two days while we had the freak storm. Ella also got probios paste and nutri drench. We gave her a bowl of loose minerals again and she was very interested in it but not eating it like crack. Ella is still in her own stall. We separated the suffolk from the goats so the goat herd can have free choice loose minerals. Then we went and bought a goat and sheep block for the sheep so we were sure it had no copper.

Ella has filled out slightly and she seems more happy. Now for the bald spots by her butt mystery. She is rubbing the hair off. So what causes a goat to rub the hair off their butt? It's only her butt every where else is fine. We checked her out closely and saw no signs of lice or mites and no other herd members are rubbing themselves. Any ideas?

Waiting on the test tubes to arrive so we can draw blood and send it out.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Me too i havnt been out to the barn for a few days so hopefully she is still improving. To clarify that DH generally does barn chores and i have been sick due to the poopy weather here.

sadieml

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that you (also) have fallen victim to the horrible weather. It's been typical South Carolina weather, 60's & 70's in the daytime 30's at night. I have the 1st ear infection I've had in 20+ years, really awful, went to doctor, got antibiotic 3/31 went back for Z-pack on 4/8. The doc said he could certainly see why I said I couldn't stand the pain much longer. This is agony-AND I can't hear! Thank the Lord my kids can fend for themselves, now so at least no one will starve. They keep feeding their Daddy, too. YAY! I don't want food, but I bet I still won't loose weight, thanks to my thyroid.:idunno
I want Spring to get here before Summer does, but that's pretty rare in SC.

AND, btw, my tiller is on the fritz! So much for getting melons and squashes in the ground! :th(just call me Whiney Butt):tongue

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Awwww :hugs:hugs:hugs Hope you get through it and back on your feet quickly. Haven't had ear infections in many years but remember well how painful they can be. Just as an aside, you don't "need" a tiller to plant melons,squashes,pumpkins... just loosen the soil in a shovel's width, and plant. They typically have exceptionally strong roots that should have no problem spreading out and loosening the surrounding soil as they do.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry to hear your sick to Sadieml. Mine involved pretty much 3 days of sleeping and super high fever causing dizziness and my eyes to burn etc. Better now but still sore throat and coughing and dizzy now and then.

Update on the testing. My tubes finally arrived on saturday so hopefully we can drawn blood today or tomorrow and get it sent out.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pic 11
I noticed her skin is very flaky almost like really bad dandruff, i thought maybe it was just dry from winter but the other goats dont have that
04-16-16 071.JPG

A lot of the other smaller goats are losing the hair on their noses i thought it was just from the hay manger but i could be wrong
04-16-16 079.JPG

Some not very good looking poops too
04-16-16 077.JPG

04-16-16 085.JPG

i noticed one of the La Mancha also have the copper colored hair
04-16-16 087.JPG

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Testing got delayed we decided to draw blood tomorrow and ship monday after work. So no test results yet. I do have pictures of her though and some of the other goats.

This is Ella the Cou blanc in the middle and her daughter Cassopia the Cou Clair is in front of her on the left...the Cou Blanc on the right is May.
04-16-16 040.JPG

Cassopia
04-16-16 041.JPG

May being nosey
04-16-16 043.JPG

Ella and Cassiopia again
04-16-16 045.JPG

You can see how thin Ella is and how thin and patchy her coat is. I'm also wondering if thatis copper deficancy on the end of cassiopia's tail?
04-16-16 044.JPG

This is a closer picture of Cassiopia's tail
04-16-16 051.JPG

Only evidence of the copper color on Ella
04-16-16 053.JPG

This is the areas where she appears to be rubbing the fur off and recently got bloody spots
04-16-16 063.JPG

More copper
04-16-16 062.JPG

Reactions: TAH