Are whole oats a non-GMO feed?

TexasJacobs

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have been trying to find a non-GMO feed for my chickens. I had been under the impression that Purina Layena was organic and non-GMO but after looking into it I realized that the bag never says "contains no GMO". I had heard that whole oats are safe for chickens and I was wondering if (since they don't contain corn or soy) whole oats are a non-GMO feed? If the bag does not say "contains no GMO" then does that mean that it does have GMO in it?

PotterWatch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
If a feed contains corn and/or soy and isn't labeled as GMO-free, you can bet that it contains GMOs. A majority of the feed corn and almost all the soybeans grown in the US are GMOs. As far as oats, I don't think there is currently a GM variety being cultivated so oats should be safe from GMO contamination, though it was probably still sprayed with fertilizers and/or pesticides unless it is labeled organic.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Watch out for corn, soy and wheat that is not labeled non-GMO.

As far as I know there are not GMO oats...yet.

Egg_Newton

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
elevan said:

I don't think wheat is GM. I've been doing lots of research on the subject lately. Wanting to get me, my family, and pets off the stuff. I read an article that said a common misconception is that wheat is a GMO. But corn and soy for sure.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Egg_Newton said:
elevan said:

I don't think wheat is GM. I've been doing lots of research on the subject lately. Wanting to get me, my family, and pets off the stuff. I read an article that said a common misconception is that wheat is a GMO. But corn and soy for sure.
They have fields of GMO wheat in process as of 2011 in the western US. Not all wheat is but I hold it suspect.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Wheat is non GMO, and all American wheat flour is non GMO. From Wiki:
Monsanto decided to no longer offer Roundup-Ready Wheat commercially until transgenic wheat is more widely accepted.[32] Currently no transgenic wheat is used commercially in the United States.[33][not in citation given] Monsanto is now looking toward introducing transgenic wheat into the world's food supply starting with India.[34][neutrality is disputed][
From GMO Compass:
Right now, no genetically modified wheat is being grown anywhere in the world. Plans to introduce GM wheat in North America were abandoned in 2004. Nevertheless, scientists are still exploring ways of improving wheat using genetic engineering.

TexasJacobs

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Well I went ahead and bought a bag of oats from our local feed store. They don't say organic (darn) but at least they're not GMOs. Most all feed stores in our area stock only Purina or ACCO and I feel pretty sure that both of those brands have GMOs in them. I am trying to figure out a way to get around GMOs without spending an arm and a leg on feed. Since we are eating our chickens eggs I decided to start with them and then go from the chickens to the other animals. Thankfully we can feed the sheep and cow on our own pasture most of the year. It is really just the chickens and horses that eat bagged feed. I guess I need to figure out how to grow corn!

Egg_Newton

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It's not easy to find but it's out there. I just picked some up yesterday from a place about an hour away. It is actually cheaper per bag than the Purina Goat Chow I had been buying. Downside is I had to have it specially milled and had to purchase 500lbs of the stuff. With it being spring and summer and only having 7 mini goats. It's going to last a while...

RubThyNeighbor

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Much of the wheat supply is tainted by GMO and horrible breeding practices creating undigestible form of wheat . I am not completely avoiding it for my goats or chickens but I will do my best unless I know the source (same as for my family).

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes...there is GMO wheat...not sure how widespread it is, but it is on the increase...with it are more wheat allergies and wheat intolerances in humans. I would prefer to buy non GMO feeds for my sheep, chickens and dogs...AND...for the humans! We've been eating this stuff for many years and never knew it.

Latest posts