1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. All things Goats
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Asking for ideas on how to "manage" coyotes

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by soarwitheagles, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Jul 24, 2017
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

I'm the tech guru but not much time to tinker these days. Before I retired I was a network engineer for Sac. school district for 8 years and IT director at a school where I live now.

I would have to do wireless and battery as there is no power out there. I have cameras for my barn for kidding season but never got them set up but there is power and wi-fi at the barn, not so out at the back pasture. Probably a game cam type of setup is the best I can get, but again, I haven't really looked at options for cameras with no available power.

2. Jul 24, 2017
    soarwitheagles

soarwitheagles Loving the herd life

Babs,

Under those circumstances, an inexpensive game camera sounds like a great idea!

If you are indeed dealing with a two-legged coyote, the nice things about cameras, they do not lie, and in a court of law hold a lot of weight.

Not so sure about your neighborhood and county laws, but we gladly joined the Sheriff's Electronic Eye (S.E.E.) here in Sacramento County. Sure is nice to have each other's backs covered...

3. Jul 24, 2017
    babsbag

babsbag Herd Master

We really have no neighborhood. There are 6 or 7 homes out here that use the same main road but scattered about. We do watch each other's back to some extent but we certainly don't have any organized group like the Neighborhood Watch. One neighbor in particular is just plain nosy but he would be the last one to call in an emergency.

4. Jul 29, 2017
    Rezchamp

Rezchamp Exploring the pasture

I've actually beat the certain subspecies (the worst kind) of coyote for doing just that. Oddly their language was quite similar to mine but accentuated with a few surprised yelps followed by a few deep grunts then some high pitched whines and about 4or5 anguished wails then utter silence........except for some gurgley shallow breathing which continued until a cpl of kicks to the lower ribs rousted them from their apparently restful, rejuvenating nap....shortly after which training started in earnest. There ain't another cure as good as that certain subspecies of coyote teaching others of that certain subspecies of coyote to stay away from certain areas.
    Trail cameras are boss especially if they have a wireless feed to a laptop.
    One thing that still amazes me to this day is how a simple click of a safety can stop this certain subspecies of coyote in their tracks and make them so compliant.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    Baymule, Pastor Dave and babsbag like this.
  5. Jul 30, 2017
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master