B&B Happy Goats....journal

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
And you could run him into things too! The last time we went to Disneyland (about 17 years ago) Janet's Rheumatoid Arthritis was fairly new and not yet controlled so she was in a wheelchair, I was pushing. I hit a number of people BUT it wasn't my fault. Damn stupid people walk like they drive, see a small space in front of the chair and move into it. Did that hurt? Well DUH!!!! A wheelchair with an adult passenger doesn't stop on a dime idiot.

There was one good side to having the wheelchair, you get to jump the line on most of the rides. The one for the Matterhorn has the switchback corral and then usually wraps all the way around the mountain. We got in line at the beginning of the switchbacks. Space Mountain? They send you in the out door. Soon as the ride finishes and all the previous patrons get out, you get on. No line at all.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
And now you know why I am not going to take a bunch of pills for a "maybe" diagnosis, of" maybe you had a partial seizure, but we can't really find anything to support this"......:barnie:rant:somad:rant:duc
I Also agree on the taking pain meds all the time. I would like for it to not hurt so much, but would not want to not feel any of the pain in my ankle or knee because then I would abuse it. If I could get enough relief to be able to walk semi-normal, it would be nice. And yes, I would probably put off the surgery for another year or so, because I really would like to be completely retired to do it. I am working on that but like @Mini Horses , I would like to do a few more things to get a little better set financially before I get to having no "extra" paycheck. Although I do have the cattle and sales of calves to add to the coffers .....
But I also am not so stupid to do things that I shouldn't just because it doesn't hurt ..... I believe that pain is the body's way of telling you that you need to take it easier, be more careful of the area hurting. And since so many of them do nothing for me, no sense to just take more and more.....
But there are days I would like to block the pain in the ankle just so I could walk normal....

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Forgot to mention, part of the not selling reasoning is that they are going to be putting in a highway to cut out using I 10 and it will connect to I 75, we are hoping that it will increase property values and there has been "talk" of a hospital being built nearby....fingers crossed !

Did we transfer Mel too early? I'm glad you guys are taking the time to do what you want to do rather than what you thought you needed to do.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well -- sometimes things work out. You MAY be able to stay and you may be able to work Leon into a rehab after his back op to help both of you through recovery. It would be AWESOME to have facilities closer but, that would probably be a few years out. And you have been looking to see what's out there in case you need to rethink again.

As to Mel, I believe he is doing what God intended for him. While you certainly miss and love that awesome guy, he does appear to be so very content with Maisy and the sheep. If I were an LGD, I'd sure be happy living there with the farm and wonderful animal caring humans!! At this stage in YOUR life, it seems the best to know he's loved, cared for well and settled.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
He is a grown man and will have to make a grown up decision. Back surgery and rehab afterwards because you can't give him that level of care required, plus put him in the truck for therapy every day and how many miles away? Then back home, get him out of the truck, in the house, in the bed......nah, rehab it is!

Haha! I got it! Tell him it's back surgery and rehab or you can knock him in the head and tell God that he died..... :yesss:

On the smileys, just respond back to me. Drop the smileys down, click on all the ones you normally use. Then you will get them up at the top under used most often, where they are convenient.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just a few thoughts. I am glad that you have decided to stay. Plus now you have a nice "new house" from all the work you have done. I am assuming that DH is on medicare? What type of supplement? Talk to the insurance agent and see what you guys have, what is available. I do know that when I have my ankle done, the doctor is the one who "assesses" the patients' condition, and determines where he will go for his initial release. And they do take into consideration who and what is available at home. I will be going into a rehab for the ankle, for as many days as we can get out of the medicare &/or supplemental policy I have. It is 14 or 21 days I believe. Seriously, you need to find out what you have, what it will cover.

I know that @Mini Horses was talking about how she has changed her medicare and gone to the medicare advantage plan. It will cover a bunch of little perks, like some dental, glasses and even OTC things like bandaids and aspirin etc. BUT, I did call my insurance lady and asked her about it. She says she will not write an "advantage plan" because it will hurt you if something does go wrong. She told me it is great for those that don't have any problems, and don't anticipate any problems. You can get the extras..... but that there are co-pays for many things. And, if you have a major problem, like my trip to the ER a couple weeks ago, it can cost you . Up to about 4,000 in co-pays and stuff that isn't covered.
The kicker is, if you have a problem, say like I did, and you are on "an advantage plan" , you will never be able to switch back to regular medicare with a supplement, like the plan G I have now. You will not meet the underwriting. Then you are screwed for any kind of better coverage. So I said, okay, that is why I called you to aske because I had heard all sort of things. On top of that, I had an appt. with a new dr. today, to have a personal care physician, when I do the ankle replacement, I have to have someone here who will oversee my rehab care. This was more for a "get to know you" kind of visit, but also to follow up on the incident 2 weeks ago when I wound up in the ER with the "eyes locking" to the left that my chiropractor said was a pinched nerve high in my neck.
Anyway, she was pretty n ice, and we did alot of talking about how I don't go to drs, unless I am sick, I am not a "run to the doc for every little thing" and all. We discussed what the "diagnosis" was from the ER and how I refuse to take a "seizure" medicine with no proof of a seizure. She was puzzled why they did not do an EEG to see about the possibility of the brain nerves firing erratically, and some other stuff , before deciding it was a seizure. So she wants me to go to a neurologist for an EEG, and termed it a "vision problem" to not give it a label of seizure....which can affect you forever, restrict/prevent you from driving, all kinds of things. She also wants me to do some additional bloodwork for thyroid, iron,Vit D and something else. Plus my sugar was high in the blood work from the ER so wants me to do a fasting blood sugar....
What I am getting to, is that she asked what kind of insurance I had, and I said Medicare, and a supplement, and a drug plan coverage too. She said good, that some of this is sometimes not covered by some insurances. Also, that it was good that I didn't have an advantage plan because I would be paying for a good bit of it out of pocket and that it was very restrictive on what doctors were included/allowable.

So, find out what you have down to the letter. And then push the doctor to "evaluate" DH condition after back surgery, and "Determine" that he has to go into rehab and take advantage of whatever you can get out of it. There is more that you can get than they like to let on about.