B&B Happy Goats....journal

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep---insurance is tricky. BUT -- you can switch back to "regular medicare" during an open season. For ME --- Yes, it could mean a higher annual "out of pocket" but, after paying for 9 years and NEVER getting anything back, I felt the dental, vision & OTC would be nice. Those I will use. I am blessed to not have health issues, beyond normal "maintenance."..... day to day stuff. Since I currently have no PCP, a new doctor isn't an issue. In fact, I'm going to "interview" the one they suggested. What the heck -- HE may refuse to take me as a patient. I won't go to one who doesn't consider my thoughts & I know my body, or one who thinks a pill is always the answer.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
BJ has medicare and a traditional supplement through AARP/United healthcare. Through his many MAJOR surgeries, we paid not one dime out of pocket. Those advantage plans sucker people in with a low cost premium, then kick them in the rear end when something goes wrong. Yeah, it costs more, but weighing it up against what we would be paying on a triple bypass, knee replacement, shoulder replacement, prostrate surgery and the many Dr visits.....we'd still be making payments until the Great Beyond.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep---insurance is tricky. BUT -- you can switch back to "regular medicare" during an open season. For ME --- Yes, it could mean a higher annual "out of pocket" but, after paying for 9 years and NEVER getting anything back, I felt the dental, vision & OTC would be nice. Those I will use. I am blessed to not have health issues, beyond normal "maintenance."..... day to day stuff. Since I currently have no PCP, a new doctor isn't an issue. In fact, I'm going to "interview" the one they suggested. What the heck -- HE may refuse to take me as a patient. I won't go to one who doesn't consider my thoughts & I know my body, or one who thinks a pill is always the answer.
@Mini Horses , please believe that I was not trying to criticize or anything, about your decision to switch to an advantage plan. The "extras " that you can get are good. My ins agent told me that for someone who has never had any issues, it can be a good thing. The thing is, heaven forbid something happens this year while you are on it, heart attack, stroke, develop diabetes, something serious, and then when the "open period" comes around, you would not be able to qualify for the medical underwriting by the ins co., to go back to regular medicare with a supplemental plan. I don't blame you for wanting to get back something after all the years of paying and not getting anything back. For me it is definitely not an option. Mostly because of knowing I wanted to "fix the ankle, and the knee". I paid $187.50 out of pocket this year, and all the rest so far has been "free". The consultation visit for my ankle in Raleigh, NC @ the Duke "doctor" I went to used up all the deductible, and then some. All my expenses @ the ER a couple of weeks ago will be covered between Medicare and the supplement I have. I pay $88. a month for the supplement policy, and have a drug plan also that will hopefully cover most/all of the stupid "seizure" drug they gave me IV; so I could get out of there that night and come home.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@B&B Happy goats ; I get that you have probably got everything under control with Leon's medicare etc. That is good. Just wanted to make sure that in case anyone...... like I was totally uninformed and confused when I first did the switch to medicare from work ins........ might not know all the ins and outs. I leave that up to my ins lady, she is great at explaining it, and keeps up with all the changes. It is too complicated for me. But that is why I called her. She is the expert. Now if she wanted to get a milk cow, she would probably call me......