B&B Happy Goats....journal

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I shed a few tears just reading your post about Ronald. I would think that contacting the hearing place and seeing if there isn't something that can be done to help him is a really thoughtful thing to do. Try the BBB in town, or call a senior center that might know of some type of program to help. Is he a veteran???? Maybe the VA would know of someone although some of the VA centers are not known for their "helpfulness".....
Yeah, maybe his sister and he would like a "chicken dinner".... I mean, would you really miss one chicken that you killed? If you/he/they were closer, I would be glad to share a few chickens.... Hey, even Walmart has the rotisserie chickens for less than $6.00. Or maybe just take him and his sister out for a lunch or something to show your appreciation. That would be better than bringing them to your place right off for "turkey dinner".... Maybe get another "cheap turkey" as a neighborly thank you that they can cook.... might be really nice people to have as friends... and maybe he could use a little extra work in exchange for a little meat or something.... you know the good old barter system....... or just to help you with things that Leon can't do sometimes....
Sounds like he could use a nice friend..... so sad about all the losses in his life.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, DW is covering 3 of us now that DD1 aged out last March. I COULD get insurance through IBM, if I wanted to get out the extra large jar of Vaseline. Their rates are ridiculous. Before DW had coverage with the P.O., my IBM medical retirement cost was $29K a year (due to the need to cover DW's RA meds) for the 4 of us. The retiree medical account was funded by IBM when they changed the retirement plans some years ago and can ONLY be used to pay for premiums for IBM insurance. Fortunately DW got permanent status before that account ran out, it is pretty close to 0 now I believe. I don't know if DW can retire from the P.O. and still get health insurance through them. But then she's only been a full time employee with benefits for almost 5 years. I think she'll be Medicare eligible about the same time she is retirement eligible. DD2 will age out in May of 2021, I'll hit Medicare March that same year.

I have no medical insurance person I can talk to though some of the retired IBM folks I have lunch with monthly have gone through this (I'm the pup of the group) so they will likely be my best source of info.

Isn't that the same as denying coverage due to a preexisting condition?

They would not be denying coverage as you would still have the current advantage plan.... medical underwriting can refuse to give you a "better" plan at that age, if you have problems, if you have coverage already..... when you first become eligible for medicare, you can get most anything you want if you have had "full coverage" at a job without a health evaluation, even if you have a pre-existing condition; But once you give that up, for a less expensive, and less comprehensive coverage, there is nothing that says they have to let you "go back to better coverage" ; even if you did actually qualify for the underwriting, it would be so high it would be cost prohibitive. That is why so many older people do not change jobs now, if they have problems, and are currently covered. They might not be denied, but the costs at a different company would just be too much if they are having to pay it (or a portion) on their own.... there is so much BS, and if you switched out for a less comprehensive plan, then they don't have to let you go back because you are a greater risk and would create a greater cost to the company.

Sounds like if you have some IBM folks that have retired and are older, they can give you some advise.... or tell you a good ins agent to talk "medicare" to. It will help your wife's costs too to get you off her plan.... My ins lady said her husband has better coverage now on the medicare and supplement that she got him on, than she does at work; and she is an ins agent..... and it costs less than when he was paying his portion at his job before he retired.
I will gladly pay the 2400 or so a year to have what I got.... but again, I knew I would be having future replacements.... and no, I didn't have to "reveal that" because it was not something that a doctor had referred to as being a "necessity". I was not "diagnosed" as having to have replacements.... If you do not have anything specific that you will have to have "right now" then you don't have to "reveal" that you are going to have replacement surgery, or anything like that. Mine was not something I "have to have" in order to survive.... It is elective, and I might not have needed it for years yet. I am choosing to have it sooner than later, so I can hopefully enjoy my "retirement" and probably keep working a little bit longer. Like @Mini Horses , I could slow down some, still work a little, and have that little extra income without all the hassles. Look at my job, it is slowing dwindling down on it's own.... so it is working out okay, and if I wasn't hurting so much.....it would be a good way to do it. I am just ready to slow down even more because of the pain... maybe when I get the work done, I will want to keep a few just to stay in it.....and there might only be a few left anyway....

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@B&B Happy goats I fully get what you mean about not wanting to take away one iota of his pride. I have gotten around things like that in the past with a "I am running out of freezer space, can you use a chicken or two that I have in freezer cuz I need to make room? Or hey, been putting chickens in the freezer we killed and there isn't enough room for these last "2", and I hate to just feed them to the cats....." You know what I mean I am sure.
Sounds like you have this well in hand and I like your "plan of action" before you act. It was getting late and I was just typing what I was thinking.....
Hope you can find some ways to help. And maybe make a friendship that will last down through the years and be beneficial to you both.
I also forget that you have helped many through end of life care, so you would know about resources much better than I would.

How is the neighbor lady that had the goats?????

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's ok Burce, I'm sure we both would trade a few tears to be able to hear better, and there is never a shortage of hugs to give away ...here's one for you :hugs
Ah thanks! Here is one for you :hugs

I agree, Ronald does have pride, look at how he handles his work in a place where most people figure "its a dump, who cares, I get paid the same regardless" (it is actually a transfer station for those who have not been there ;) ). I'm sure he can use a friend having lost his immediate family and moved to a place where he likely knows no one. And from personal experience I know you would be a great friend to him. But I also understand starting slow, the last thing anyone needs it to get too friendly with someone who turns out be a needy, demanding NOT friend that sucks the life out of you.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I went back down to spend some time with the dogs and this is going to sound like I made it up but I did not. I gave them a couple of Animal Crackers and then sat down on the door stoop to give them some petting. Mel was doing his thing with his leg up on my shoulder and I told him "your Mom said to give you a big hug and she still loves you." As soon as I said that I put my head down next his his and his other leg came up on my other shoulder. He rarely does that since it can't be comfortable for him as big as he is but I thought it uncanny that he did at that time. I know it's coincidence but it was pretty cool on his timing.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
lol, meat rabbits always have that wrinkled, concerned expression. He's got that. Cute.

Do his kids have a nice, solid, thick build and quick growth rate? If you have to find him another doe, crossing to a nice, brick shaped meat lines NZ doe would provide that to the moon and back, and they should be big with him as buck.