B&B Happy Goats....journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That was a hard decision to make. In your typical fashion, you make those decisions where other people would dither about, unable to suck it up and do what needs to be done. Missy was your baby, I know you loved her. Nobody could have tried any more that you did. You could see this going bad and going fast so you did what you had to do. She was in your arms, she had a happy truck ride and she went to sleep wrapped in your love.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
New life rising from the ashes of one lost. You did what was right for all concerned and did it with love and respect for her. Now you have new babies, and a better life for the dogs that you have there, and peace of mind that she would not be in a bad situation or able to hurt someone else.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh Barb...you have to be one of the strongest, but most unselfish women I know. From knowing you this long, and reading your journal... I can understand why Missy needed to go to doggy heaven. I can only prayer that if I were ever in your shoes, I would have the strength..and the fore-site to do the right thing for everyone involved. I’m glad she has a wonderful spot in the yard, since will always have a wonderful spot in your heart. I’m thinking of you and Leon...and the pups, as you ‘find your new normal’.... :hugs :hugs:hugs

Jeff n Jenny

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Funny how getting animals changes things and people.. :)
I learn so much from animals, about life (with its strengths and fragilities), about myself (individually), and others/us collectively.
Rarely, if ever, have I seen deliberate meanness in animals. I am suspicious that what behavior that has resembled meanness was my misunderstanding. For example, a ram is a ram. And sometimes, when I have allowed a situation to develop poorly, I acquired more education about rams, conducting research in the school of hard knocks. I'm glad I wrestled and played dodgeball in my youth, lol.
I find myself at times wishing to see more of the compassionate and cooperative behaviors in people while recognizing my own ability to better demonstrate those virtues.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I learn so much from animals, about life (with its strengths and fragilities), about myself (individually), and others/us collectively.
Rarely, if ever, have I seen deliberate meanness in animals. I am suspicious that what behavior that has resembled meanness was my misunderstanding. For example, a ram is a ram. And sometimes, when I have allowed a situation to develop poorly, I acquired more education about rams, conducting research in the school of hard knocks. I'm glad I wrestled and played dodgeball in my youth, lol.
I find myself at times wishing to see more of the compassionate and cooperative behaviors in people while recognizing my own ability to better demonstrate those virtues.

I have to disagree about seeing deliberate meanness in animals. I see it often and it is not a misunderstanding. I have had cattle that had horns that would purposely hook another animal with their horns while they were at the feeders because the horned one wanted that space; only to see them 5 minutes later go and purposely hook that same animal after it has moved to another spot that is in no way threatening to the horned one.
I have a longhorn heifer with a very nice set of horns that does not use them on any of the others in the field. Even my son mentioned that when he brought her home from pasture that she never used them in the pen or in the trailer on anyone else. It is in the animals disposition. Have roosters that will go out of their way to fight other roosters. Out loose, through the wire, constantly. Establishing a pecking order is one thing. To constantly go after an animal after that has been established is another. And once a chicken has drawn blood, they are most canalbalistic things there are.

Had a dog that would only attack and kill the chickens and ducks when I was gone. Would watch them walk right by her when I was home, and they were all loose in the yard. Totally ignore them. Drove up the road and parked, snuck back down and watched her deliberately stalk and kill 2 hens and leave them and go for another. IN THEIR OWN PEN. I had spent weeks working with her and she had seemingly gotten past the chicken killing. Then made sure they were penned so not a temptation out running around in front of her loose. Then found a couple dead in their pen, first blamed a coon we were having trouble with; caught it and some more dead. So finally thought it might be the dog again.

Had a donkey that hated the other donkey. They had come together but once they had space in a bigger field, and the cows in there, the one would constantly run the other off the rolls of hay. We would put out 3-4 rolls at a time and watch the one run the other off every roll. Didn't matter which roll the one went to, the other would come flying with teeth bared and run it off. This would go on for hours. Took to putting hay in different areas so that they could not be seen from one to another so the one would get a chance to eat. Soon took the one being chased out and put in another field, then the aggressive one would start running off a couple of specific cows from the rolls. Just outright meanness. Finally got rid of him. Yes, he was gelded so not like an intact male that was making his "claim" as a stud.

There are many instances of animals being protective of others, but don't ever think that there are not animals that are downright bad dispositioned and mean.

Jeff n Jenny

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have to disagree about seeing deliberate meanness in animals. I see it often and it is not a misunderstanding. I have had cattle that had horns that would purposely hook another animal with their horns while they were at the feeders because the horned one wanted that space; only to see them 5 minutes later go and purposely hook that same animal after it has moved to another spot that is in no way threatening to the horned one.
I have a longhorn heifer with a very nice set of horns that does not use them on any of the others in the field. Even my son mentioned that when he brought her home from pasture that she never used them in the pen or in the trailer on anyone else. It is in the animals disposition. Have roosters that will go out of their way to fight other roosters. Out loose, through the wire, constantly. Establishing a pecking order is one thing. To constantly go after an animal after that has been established is another. And once a chicken has drawn blood, they are most canalbalistic things there are.

Had a dog that would only attack and kill the chickens and ducks when I was gone. Would watch them walk right by her when I was home, and they were all loose in the yard. Totally ignore them. Drove up the road and parked, snuck back down and watched her deliberately stalk and kill 2 hens and leave them and go for another. IN THEIR OWN PEN. I had spent weeks working with her and she had seemingly gotten past the chicken killing. Then made sure they were penned so not a temptation out running around in front of her loose. Then found a couple dead in their pen, first blamed a coon we were having trouble with; caught it and some more dead. So finally thought it might be the dog again.

Had a donkey that hated the other donkey. They had come together but once they had space in a bigger field, and the cows in there, the one would constantly run the other off the rolls of hay. We would put out 3-4 rolls at a time and watch the one run the other off every roll. Didn't matter which roll the one went to, the other would come flying with teeth bared and run it off. This would go on for hours. Took to putting hay in different areas so that they could not be seen from one to another so the one would get a chance to eat. Soon took the one being chased out and put in another field, then the aggressive one would start running off a couple of specific cows from the rolls. Just outright meanness. Finally got rid of him. Yes, he was gelded so not like an intact male that was making his "claim" as a stud.

There are many instances of animals being protective of others, but don't ever think that there are not animals that are downright bad dispositioned and mean.
You're right. It's been a while since I had chickens.
I used to get 100 barred rocks each year to raise. The mean ones got dinner invites first.
I agree with your observations and opinions.
What I was trying to express is that if an animal has an unknown injury let's say a pinched nerve, it will be more aggressive.
When I say mean, I think of willful malice. The scheming to cause harm.
I got a friend back in Montana who is a vet and critter chiropractor. She tells stories of the transformation from mean to mellow from an adjustment. Diet/nutrition makes a difference too.
Just because an animal is eating doesn't mean it's nourished. So lots of variables.
Is a snapping turtle mean, hungry, or trying to protect itself? I'm glad one couldn't chase me if it wanted to :)
We observe behavior and conclude this one is "mean" without understanding the reason for the behavior.
I was trying to make a contrast between malicious intent and misunderstood behavior.
I guess I didn't do so good.
I've known wolves to go take a hibernating bear out of its den and shred it. Territorial competition? I don't know. It sure looks mean to me -