Babies!

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Can you let them drink off of your other doe?

Have they drank anything since they were born?
Are they weak at all?

Gabby

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Oh my goodness they're precious! Good luck getting them to feed, either from a doe or a bottle! I'm lacking in the advice department but just wanted to say they're adorable and my thoughts are with you.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would hold that doe and let those babies nurse. If you don't have a milkstand you could try clipping her collar to a fence and holding one of her back legs up so she can't jump around so much - even though she'll still probably try. Are you absolutely sure she's not letting them feed? Are you trying to feed them her milk or a replacer?

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are you using the dams milk/colostrum of a powder?

What type of nipple are you using on the bottle. My favorite to get kids started is the red & yellow pritcherd nipple. Some kids put up a fuss but I have always gotten them to take to the bottle- even kids that have already nursed. You have put a little sugar on the nipple to get the kid to smack its lips- hopefully to get it suckling.

If you absolutely cannot get the kid to take the bottle, you can put some colostrum in a syringe and slowing drip it on the kids tongue.

Are you keeping the milk at 102 degrees? I was helping a lady a few months back, her newborn kids were extremely hungry but wouldn't take the bottle. Didn't matter what she did.
I called her and asked when the last time she warmed the milk. She said 45 minutes ago :ep
She only had 3 ozs of milk in the bottle, it chills fast and the kids wont drink chilled milk.
She called back 3 minutes, right after the milk was warmed the kid drank it right down!

How are the kids acting? I would bring them inside at this point and really work on them to take the bottle if they are acting hungry. How full are their bellies right now?
Temp? If they are chilled, warm them first

You could try holding momma again. Offer her some grain while others hold/ and get the kids to latch on.

How is the dam?
I have seen quite a few sudden rejections all stem from either a retained placenta or mastitis. They were great dams until infection set in. Take the temp of the dam and see if you can "troubleshoot" any problems. Are her teats cracked, chapped, or cut? That can cause the doe to kick like crazy!
How does her milk look?

Has she just suddenly done this, or was she an already iffy mom?

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My husband went down and checked them before we left for work. She let them nurse a little. This is her 1st babies so this behavior is new to us to. I got the babies warm and dry. In a straw bed. They are kinda sluggish vs what the other 2 were. I tried replacer because she kicked me even when i tried to let them nurse. But hopefully she will come around. Im hoping what he saw this evening is a sign shes tryin to take care of them.

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Can you let them drink off of your other doe?

Have they drank anything since they were born?
Are they weak at all?
We tried that. She didnt kick them but she would walk off. We were so hoping.

Latest posts