Babies!

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Where do u get the boxes to put them in to dehorn them? Are they necessary? And the 1st set will be 2 weeks sunday. Have i missed the window to dehorn them? They just seem so small. Nubs are barely there. And what size diameter dehorner do u use? I saw one by Rhinhart is it a good one?

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
We use a box, but you can burn without it. A box is a little easier for some. We didn't have time to build it ourselves so we ordered one from caprine supply.
I'd have to check the size of our iron. I think it's 3/4 of an inch but don't remember.
The kids might still be "in range", we go by size not necessarily age.

Because you are newer to this and it sounds like it's your first time, have you considered having a vet or another dairy goat breeder do it and teach you?

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We use a box, but you can burn without it. A box is a little easier for some. We didn't have time to build it ourselves so we ordered one from caprine supply.
I'd have to check the size of our iron. I think it's 3/4 of an inch but don't remember.
The kids might still be "in range", we go by size not necessarily age.

Because you are newer to this and it sounds like it's your first time, have you considered having a vet or another dairy goat breeder do it and teach you?
I called the vet but they want to scoop them out. I think I would rather just burn them. I think that will be alot less stressful.

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If they are bucks and 2 weeks old then your window is closing fast.
Ok i may have to just try it some how. I did calves about 15 yrs ago. But that was in a class i had in college. And thats been many moons ago. Lol.

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I may get a dehorner and just take them to the vet....soon. they have one at my feed store but it looks aweful big. It was a 5/8". Will that be to big?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
5/8 is smaller than 3/4... I would think you can place the tip over the bud and see if it's the right size before you start. You can do it without the box but it will take two people and one with a good strong and steady grip to hold that head still. There are YouTube videos you can check out to see it done.

Just one of many:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Also, Caprine Supply sells the aluminum collar for the box and it comes with plans to make the box.

The kids are just adorable but, I swear the one guy is striped not spotted :p. Glad your doe came around. sometimes the FF are not sure what's happening and uncooperative...not often but as you see it happens. Next time she'll be a champ!

Congrats on the kids.