Baby goat, Scours?

bjm266

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Hello
I have 3 baby goats who are all 12 or 13 days old (born either the 15th or 16th), they have been eating well but I noticed the other day that they were producing a softer poo. This sometimes looked like some firmer poo surrounded by a softer almost puddle, but the poo was on a towel that they had also peed on. But mostly I am seeing the more puddle like formation, not completely water but does not hold a turd, or pellet poop shape. I cannot for the life of me find images of scours in goats versus the "pudding poo" I keep seeing referenced. I have no idea if I should be worried or if this is normal. Any help is appreciated

I did realize that I was feeding the baby's to much as they were drinking nearly 16 oz. 4 times a day (I read in a few places to let them eat as much as they want but found out after this was wrong)
Following the new knowledge 3 days ago I restricted their feed to 10-12 oz. a feeding with 4 feedings a day.
I am feeding DUMOR goat kid milk replacer as I do not have any way to access fresh goats milk for the kids.
I bought electrolyte mix for goats and fed about 5 oz once per goat between milk feedings on 3/27 (this is about what was recommended) but I worry from reading others that maybe this isn't the right thing?
They have had access to alfalfa pellets, and free choice minerals since coming home on March 17th
I gave them alfalfa hay, and a water bucket starting 5 days or so ago.

caprines.n.me

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Sorry you're having that problem. I've had goats for decades but haven't had many bottle babies. When I did I used whole milk. Straight whole cows milk from the grocery store. I know some folks mix it up with buttermilk and such, but I never did that. Just plain cows milk from your local grocery store.

Electrolytes are probably a good idea. I would guess that they aren't real interested in the pellets yet. Hopefully they'll figure it out soon.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would try to introduce regular (not alfalfa) hay.

Pellet poo is because of the roughage and dry matter that is eaten.

Also, I would give them a tiny handful of grain every day... just a few bites...

Kids out with the herd start picking at other stuff pretty early on. The tiny bit of grain, and the regular hay will help with rumen development.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Grain at this age will be too rich. Overfeeding can definitely lead to scours Have you vaccinated for Clostridia - "over eater's disease" yet? Feeding too much and feeding a diet too rich can cause scours and clostridia.

I would restrict them to the formula. You can dilute it with more water for a day or so to see if you can get the poop to thicken up. Pudding poo is normal at this age on a milk diet. Watch out for watery poop though since that can mean a problem.