baby goats and sheep together

Talithahorse

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have been looking and can't seem to find the posts related to this topic. I have 3 young pigmy goats approximately 5 mo old. I have been offered a single baby bottle fed lamb (ram) who is about 2 weeks old. I will be raising the lamb for meat, so he will only be with us for about 6-8 months. Can he be introduced to the goats (slowly and carefully with plenty of time with a fence between them) or should he spend his life in a pen by himself, with the goats in sight and sharing a fence between them? It would be easiest to have them together but I could easily separate him if necessary.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
More importantly how biosecure is the farm the lamb is coming from? Orf is a pretty big deal and nt something you want too have, also is the farm tested for Johnes?

If raising for meat if is doable . Do your goats have horns? Is the lamb banded, probably not yet because of age. Goats butt and sheep ram. Not sure what breed sheep this is but it could be an issue with small goats.
Sheep cannot have copper and goats must have copper so your minerals will need to be inaccessible to the lamb.

Talithahorse

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Pigmy's have horns, sheep is a Kthand (sp?) I have worked with the farmer I am getting from for several years and she is almost certified organic and she practices good biosecurity. I have gotten chickens from her before and they were healthy and excellent quality. I can set them up in adjoining pens. I also have a small pony which could keep him company if that is a better match. Just trying to see if it is doable. I do have a place that will process and I have processed chickens and raised calves.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Katahdin sheep are polled. As far as being certified organic, that has nothing to do with diseases and then being free of them.
You could try it and if things become an issue separate them. I would be more concerned at this point the lamb being a baby would be bullied.

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I keep sheep, goats & alpacas together. When they are babies it can be difficult as certain things effects one but not the other. I learned that my lambs & kids hated being seperated but different for every farm/animal!

Talithahorse

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for all the ideas and help. I will take it slow and assess the situation carefully as it comes up. Initially, they will be separate but will share a fence line. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything that I would need to consider before trying.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Well... the most important thing is that you leave enough room to make a pen to keep the hog in... We all need a little bacon on our places :D:drool:thumbsup

Talithahorse

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
LOL. I thought about that but haven't quite convinced my DH of that. Can't move too quickly you know. First chickens, then cows, now goats, a sheep that has fallen into our hands.... maybe one more year. Room isn't the problem its the fence building....

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
:yuckyuck fencing... yeah... we can ALL identify with THAT! :sick