Baby had triplets today!

MidnightChickenLover

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
1395_327.jpg

The one in the middle, with the black front that is mostly dry, was born first. She is the second biggest, was the second quietest when dipping her cord, and was born much before the other two. The one in the back is a boy, he is the biggest, and was in the same sack as his sister. He came out first. He is almost completely identical to his sister, who is resting behind her mother. She, the smallest, was the quietest when we held her up, she didn't make a noise. I don't know if she will be any milk though, because her mom pretty much ignored her, we had to wipe most of everything off of her. We helped with the second birthing, which we were lucky enough to catch. Baby has now had two prenancies, and is a very reliable mother.
The girls will bend their back legs inward, you can just see it with the one in the middle, but they also have it normally. Is this okay, or is their something wrong with them?
I'm looking forward to tomorrow.. :D

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Congrats, that's a nice set of triplets!

Did the dam get BoSe shots? I really, really saw a big reduction in leg problems w/ our boer kids when I started giving BoSe. If we do get an occasional wobbly-legged kid now, I give them 1/4-1/2 cc of BoSe and it really straightens them out quickly.

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Please educate me....why give a shot over feeding supplemental selenium? I always gave the horses in my care (breeding farm) granules or powdered selenium-E supplements. Do goats not assimilate it well?

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Research has shown they benefit more (quickly) from IM injections of BoSe than they do from eating it / getting it orally.

Plus, since it's the newborns who need it (in this case), it'd be a bit tricky to get them to eat enough / fast enough to offer a benefit.

I used to give our does selenium / E gel and wasn't seeing the results I am now getting w/ the injections.
I also don't like not knowing how much / how long to use it when giving it orally....they can overdose on selenium...which would show up slower since the uptake / build up is slower when given orally.

By giving it at the recommended dosage (my vet and everything I've researched online) only 2 x a year to does and 1 x a year to bucks, I'm fairly "safe"...

(And yes, we are in a low selenium area...)

MidnightChickenLover

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm loving them. Their legs are fine now. We don't have name yet, so I have nicknames: Black Top, Boy, and Girl (just to make it simple for now). Black top let's me hold her and she won't fuss or cry! I love it! She's so patient and laid back. The boy is aggressive. He pushes his way to drink, and he cries thoroughly if he wants his mom. He escaped out of the pen into the large goat pen yesterday. When we put siding up so he couldn't he walked up to it, looked up, stomped his foot, and looked at us. The girl is adorable, she loves comming up to people. They are all trying to hop, and skip. I love watching them. It's funny how Baby, the mother, only lets me in with the babies without staring at me or moving in front of them. I weighed them a few nights ago and they were 8,8, and 7 lbs.
If you think you have any cute names that start with "B" for them, tell me :)