banding horns

taraann81

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks for starting this post annanicole 18. This is something I am also considering. Did you find out what length the horns have to be before you band them? Also besides the possibility of scurs, is this permanent?
Thanks, I didn't mean to hijack your thread just gather information as well.
Tara

annanicole18

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
taraann81 said:
Thanks for starting this post annanicole 18. This is something I am also considering. Did you find out what length the horns have to be before you band them? Also besides the possibility of scurs, is this permanent?
Thanks, I didn't mean to hijack your thread just gather information as well.
Tara
its all good i'm wondering about the possibility of scurs especially if they knock the horn off early

taraann81

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I don't think scurs are a big deal, I bet you could just band them again!

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Yes, they can regrow scurs, which you can keep filed down with a rasp. So far mine have not grown anything over 1/2 inch tall - which I don't even bother with as they knock them off rubbing on fences.

haviris

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If you get the band where it needs to be you shouldn't end up with scurs, I'm no expert, but so far no scurs for me from banding. I do have some scurs from disbudding. Not saying I'd prefer banding, I'd much rather debud, but sometimes you end up w/ one and banding is the best choice. And I also band scurs, have two right now I'm hoping to do, scurs are harder because of their odd shapes.

As for how long they have to be, they just need to be long enough to hold the bands!

FlightsofFancy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I 2nd the above! I have banded 2 goats with horns so far. NO BIG DEAL! No scurs.
I would wait until this fall so you don't have to fret with flies. The goats usually don't like you near their head after they are banded and putting fly spray or swat on them seems impossible.
**I also use Gentimiacine spray (get it from a VET for dogs hot spots) to keep them dry and infection free.
Good luck!

taraann81

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have heard that sometimes when you band horns, you can end up with a hole in the goats head. It was a thread on BYC. Anyways is this a common problem? Is there a way to avoid it and what do you do if it does happen.
Thanks
Tara

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
had a pygmy wether that broke a horn off at the skull, leaving a gapeing hole, panicked, ran him to vet. said to just keep hay chafe out of the hole and it would close up, and it did. we did take the other horn off just to even him up.