Bantams?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
the standards have been around longer than the bantam (for the blue laced red Wyandotte) so hopefully since they are more established, they will be better layers than mine were. It sure is a pretty color!

What I really want though are porcelain Wyandottes. :drool

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had to go look that up. Is there one other than the brown porcelain?

I want some Buff Polish. I also need some more Easter Eggers as my green egg supply is dwindling and I really like green eggs. Some Copper Marans would be nice too.

TheGoldenFarm5

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have 10 bantams and 20 LF. They are kept separately, but they used to be together. When they were together, it was just 2 bantams with the 20 LF and they got a little bit picked on, but for the most part, they were fine.
About selling the bantam eggs, I mix the bantam eggs into the cartons. Some of my girls lay huge eggs, so that makes up for the smaller egg. My costumers have never complained or seen anything wrong with them. I have even had one person get a dozen bantam eggs for full price so she could pickle them.
I love my bantams a ton. If i were you, I would keep them together, but if there was a problem I would sell them, or get them some friends and build a separate area for them to live.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
My experience with bantam Cochins is that they are seasonal layers; they lay best in the Spring, but taper down during the rest of the year. I would not count on eggs from them in the winter unless you are using supplemental lighting. They may not be great from an egg production standpoint, but they rival Silkies for broodiness, if that is something you want.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I got Chamois Spitzhauben

Those have a little bit of a poofy head...I had to go and look those up too. Very pretty.

I bought some Polish chicks a few weeks ago through my local feed store, they do special orders for people, kinda nice. But I wanted black with white crest and the guy at the store told me they were getting in some White Polish and in my haste I didn't listen to him very well and thought they were going to be black with white, but they aren't...they are all white. I had them vaccinated for Mareks so I was stuck with them when they arrived. Oh well. I also ended up with a "mistake". I have a little frizzled something with feathered feet, also white. I am not sure how we missed the feathered feet when I was picking up Polish. Unfortunately it probably isn't vaccinated as it isn't Polish. I don't see Marek's often, but I do see it now and then so any chicks I buy I have vaccinated. :( I don't ever see it in chicks raised by my broodies.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have an outdoor kitty that never messes with the chickens. I think one could peck from a mama hen put her in her place.

LMK17

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well, now I feel like I need to keep the bantams out of sheer curiosity! The *idea* of winter eggs is appealing, and I'd kinda like to try selling the eggs, just to see what would happen. DS and DD are planning to start an egg business. The idea of little kids selling little eggs is pretty appealing... And maybe that could be their business slogan. Little kids/little eggs. I like it! :D

I suppose if it doesn't work out, then I could just separate the bantams and keep them in the brooding coop. Or I might have a friend who'd like to take them.

I think we'll take the wait and see approach!